What are the different basic types of trem??

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
edited January 2018 in Guitar
So, now I'm into building guitars, there doesn't seem much point in cranking out things I've done before/have. I do as a general rule like some kind of trem, and at the moment I have:

Bigsby B5
Floyd Rose
2 point Strat type

What other kinds of trem are available, and which are any good? Got any preference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AsomodaiAsomodai Frets: 105
    Washburn Wonderbar. 
    Kahler
    Ibanez RG550 Genesis

Musicman Stingray USA

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Gibson Vibrola (never tried one), also a sideways Vibrola (as seen on a Billy Gibbons sig SG)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Jazzmaster/Jaguar type.  My personal favourite, especially in the precision engineered aftermarket version made by Mastery.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14323
    tFB Trader
    you mention Strat type but there are many versions with in that - with or without locking nut and/or tuners - 6 vintage style screw or 2 post modern fulcrum - PRS is based a bit on both with 6 screws but each screw is a 'modern fulcrum post 

Kahler and Washburn Wonderbar are 2 fom the past

Stetsbar trem, whilst they do a Tele format, they are found more on a Gibson

IMO without going into serious dive bombing, the PRS is the best trem available regarding feel, tuning stability - Yet for me and many there is nothing wrong with a vintage Strat trem - You can't actually buy a new PRS trem system, so pick up a used version if you can - I've seen various trems in USA mags that are similar to the PRS trem but not sure if anyone in the UK imports them, so it might be a case of buy direct from the USA - le - I've just found on a Google search that you can buy a PRS trem https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/prs-tremolo-bridge

Interesting on a Strat trem, that both Jeff Beck and Hank Marvin use the trem on most notes and JB prefers the modern 2 point format and HM prefers the vintgae style
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    @guitars4you mine's a 2 point strat (edited first post now). I probably wouldn't do anything else too 'stratty'.
  • Vibrato?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72521
    There are two kinds...

Bigsby

Ones @Phil_aka_Pip likes

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2481
    There's the Super-Vee, no personal recommendation from me (don't have one) but it's an interesting idea.
    https://super-vee.com/super-vee-and-bladerunner-101/
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    don't forget Brian Poole - he's an expert on The Tremeloes
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5443
    Duesenberg makes a proprietary trem that can be acquired aftermarket. Dennis Fano is a big fan of it - he uses it on Novo and Rivolta builds. 
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Duesenberg makes a proprietary trem that can be acquired aftermarket. Dennis Fano is a big fan of it - he uses it on Novo and Rivolta builds. 
    great shout - forget about such new kids on the block
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    The duesenberg bigsby style is a thing of wonder.

generally trems are split into 2 types.  Pivot and Cam.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 214
    edited January 2018
    The Duesenberg Les Trem II is quite effective too, and a bit different from the bigsby-esque Duesenberg.  It's handy if you're not totally committed to having a trem, as it mounts on stop-tail studs.  
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Bias tremolo, opto tremolo, and harmonic tremolo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    There are two kinds...

Bigsby

Ones @Phil_aka_Pip likes

lol @ICBM

The Truth:

1. I don't like them being called "tremelo" 'cos that ain't what they do and I don't care what Leo first called them, they do VIBRATO.
    2. ICBM is right, I don't like Bigsbys
    3. Strat-type vibrato I can tolerate if it's set up right
    4. Don't like locking types 'cos they're a PITA re-stringing
    5. No experience of anything else, except that only my Strat carries a vibrato, none of my other guitars do and neither do any of the instruments on my GAS list.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72521
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

I don't like them being called "tremelo" 'cos that ain't what they do and I don't care what Leo first called them, they do VIBRATO.
    Interesting, Bigsby have always called theirs a vibrato :).

Just to be clear ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM so they got one thing right, then ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2018
    all of my guitars have Floyd's or derivatives [Ibanez LoPro Edge for example]
    been using double locking bridges for years and love them...

I never thought I'd be interested in another style of bridge until I tried the one on the Vigier
    which looked to me to be outstanding
    play every note as if it were your first
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    There's also finger vibrato and the simple shake the guitar neck.

Admittedly these are more techniques rather than specific devices, but it just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat.