Electrification of acoustics - advice please

2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917
    Bear in mind that big heavy soundhole-mounted pickups will affect the acoustic tone of the guitar (a load of extra mass that will damp the movement of the soundboard) - so not ideal for a top-notch acoustic that you only plug in occasionally
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    there is a workround for soundhole magnetic p/u's if weight / immovability is a concern, I did this on a guitar I used for a short time with the Fishy Rare Earth Blend - Instead of 'hard wiring' the  p/up & mic assembly to the jack socket in the tail block, simply add a quality (shielded) mini 3.5 mm jack on the lead coming from the p/up and a female socket on a lead coming from the end jack, the Fishy is simply secured to the soundhole by two easily accessible screws.
    Slacken 3 strings, unplug the mini jack, undo the Philips screws - take out the p/up and your good to go acoustic on yer sofa.
    Oh, I had a small plastic bracket d/s taped to inside of the upper side waist curve to secure the mini f/m jack.
    10 minuets to install / uninstall before or after gig.
    hope this makes sense.

• TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    We've fitted the K&K Mini and other products from their line up and they are excellent.

On my personal guitars I have LR Baggs Anthems and I love them too.

www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    TAMCO said:
    We've fitted the K&K Mini and other products from their line up and they are excellent.

On my personal guitars I have LR Baggs Anthems and I love them too.

Not tried the Baggs.  On various different guitars over the years, I've had Headway undersaddle, K&K Pure Mini, Fishman Rare Earth, Fishman undersaddle, and Fishman Ellipse blender (undersaddle plus gooseneck mic that you can mix together).

In terms of sound quality, the blender with the combination of undersaddle and mic is the best.  That's very expensive though - would probably cost around £250 fitted.  I probably wouldn't have gone out and bought it, but it came factory fitted with that guitar.

Of the less expensive ones, the K&K is definitely the best sounding. 

• TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    We agree that a mic plus under-saddle is a good solution.