Specific pre-set modelling

What's Hot

7:48PM  in FX Flag
I’ve just taken up playing electric guitar after around 10 years break so very much ‘out of the loop’ when it comes to Guitar effects. 
What I want to buy is something whether it be a physical unit / software / App that can, to a good standard of accuracy, model specific Artist and songs as a pre-set that I can very quickly activate. 
For example: Brian May - bohemian rhapsody
Gn’R- Sweet Child of mine, Nirvana - teen spirit, etc etc....(you get the idea)

ive seen an old amp - Fender G Dec for which you can buy SDcards which replicated the exact sound for specific songs and artists such as listed above. 

I dont have the knowledge edge or interest I experimenting trying to ‘find that sound’ just want something that I can easily click a pre-set to model sounds. More than happy to buy such a pre-set that has been programmed by a professional but I’m so out of touch with all the latest gear in the market, I would really appreciate any of your experience and advice on this. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I think amplitube does just that, amongst many other things. Can get it for mac or pc i think.
  • Thanks, will check it out. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I had a VOX Valvetronix that modelled specific artists. Hopefully @Voxman will chime in and advise what would suit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited January 2018
    mbe said:
    I had a VOX Valvetronix that modelled specific artists. Hopefully @Voxman will chime in and advise what would suit.
    Yeah, they put some factory pre-sets together that were supposed to be based on particular artists' tones in the VTxx+ range. I was never particularly impressed with them (or any other manufacturer's attempts to capture a specific artists tone) but I suppose it depends on which guitar you used & your playing ability to make them sound OK.  They did the same thing in the Tonelab ST and EX.  You should probably approach them simply as a starting point & then tweak them to suit your guitar and playing style. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    line 6 spider 4 had atrtist presets over100 or maybe more??,they couldnt use bands /artists names so the patches were named after songs i.e teen spirit for nirvana ,these were lit up in a little digital display (i think)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    and you should pick one up s/h for around £100
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited January 2018
    How much do you want to spend. You can get a unit which is now used by a number of bands rather than actual amps pedals etc. Metallica, u2, Steve vai, Joe satriani for example. The unit is called an axe fx 2. They are expensive but will give you any sound and preset you require. Fractal who produce the unit also do a pedal board which is cheaper. If it's good enough for Metallica then who am I to argue. Many artists have released their presents so you can get the exact album tone. There is no better system out there 
  • Thankyou all so much for your advice.....I will check them all out.
  • The thing is the presets will never sound exactly like the person just like that. (I've got a Mustang III amp with presets modelled on a sound). The issue is that you unless you match the guitar /pickups/ tone settings / plectrum material /playing style /rhythm... you can be on a preset and not get close to what you hope to hear. So whatever you do it can take time to match... still fun getting there.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Tone is in the fingers.
    And the amp, guitar and any pedals you might use.
     =) 
  • I’ve checked out a few of the suggestions above and also come across a few others myself too. 
    I think I’m narrowing it down to software effects. As amazing as the axe fx2 sounds, whoa....that’s pricey. 
    I owned a pod 2 many many years ago and liked line 6 products. I also see they have a Custom Tone online menu where guitarists can share patches for specific songs. 
    As fir AmpliTube, from what I gave read it’s now on the 4th edition but has also lost the sharing of patches which is the opposite of what I’m looking for. 
    Essentially I just want to play along to backing tracks with as clues to the original tone I can get (within reason) without all the experimentation. As it stands, I’m leaning towards sonething from Line 6 software to even Revalver 4 which analysts actual tones....thoughts please!?!?

I can’t thank you all enough for the knowledge & experence you’re sharing with me. 
    More than happy to spend a couple £hundred for what I want but want to make sure I spend once & spend right the first time. 

Whilst i’m on, anyone recommend quality backing tracks?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    edited January 2018
    Boss gt1 might be worth a look. 

Or katana if you want an amp. I think katana has an aux in, emulated headphone out and usb audio but others on here can confirm. It also has variable power out down to 0.5 watts. Worth a look?

Boss tone central has the kind of presets tones you're looking for. No experience of it personally....
    http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/gt-1/rock_legend_vol1/

Head to https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com or http://www.karaoke-version.com for backing tracks
  • There is a lower priced fractal product which is just as good as the more expensive axe fx unit. It's the ax8. Again it's expensive but in reality it will save you money in the long run as you won't need anything else. I spent money on line6, amplitude etc and was never totally happy. Bought the axe fx 2 a few years ago and that was it. No more spending money buying amps or pedals etc. If you can afford it you will not regret it. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Didn't the PodXT have song specific presets?  Under £100 now.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    Yes. Any line 6 pod product from xt on would do the trick. 
  • I use a Pandora mini. It's a bit cheap and nasty but gets the job done.
  • I would take a zoom g5 over line 6 older products. Have not heard helix yet but was never a fan of the older sound algorithms 
  • Also if you have a PC there used to be demo versions of amplitude and guitar rig. Both pretty good. 
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited January 2018
    The thing is the presets will never sound exactly like the person just like that. (I've got a Mustang III amp with presets modelled on a sound). The issue is that you unless you match the guitar /pickups/ tone settings / plectrum material /playing style /rhythm... you can be on a preset and not get close to what you hope to hear. So whatever you do it can take time to match... still fun getting there.
    I don't agree with that. You might not sound as good as the person you emulate but you only have to take a look at some YouTube samples of random axe fx clips and they are spot on. Can I play as good as gilmour on comfortably numb solo - no. Can I get my strat to sound identical to his tone on that solo - yes I can. You can get close with any decent software or hardware based unit but with an axe fx unit you can sound identical. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    Guitar rig is pretty good for the preset things and if you have an iPhone then perhaps look at bias amp and JamUp software both can be made to sound good for late night noodling.