Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Begrudgingly admitting something...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    Every guitarist must own a tele and a les Paul and a 335/Gretsch -it’s the law isn’t it? :)
    No les pauls thanks, strat, tele, 335 and possible a jaguar/jazzmaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I still love LPs... I think I might be @ellwood s long lost love child. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I still love LPs... I think I might be @ellwood s long lost love child.

But I seem to have bought strays lately. 3 of them. And I’m doing everything I can to resist @mortland Relic Strat. I don’t hav a custom shop Strat. Yet.

• ellwood said:

But I seem to have bought strays lately. 3 of them. And I’m doing everything I can to resist @mortland Relic Strat. I don’t hav a custom shop Strat. Yet.

I mean it must be hard to resist. You’re only in Leicester and I work next to EMA. That’s only like 15/20 minutes away, basically on your door step. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    TTBZ said:
    How do these Vintage ones compare to Squier (affinity or CV)?
    I've not compared them, but the main thing I've been told, is that the stock Wilkinson pickups should definitely be given a chance before you rip them out. So far I'm inclined to agree. Sound great. 
    Hmm might solve my tele gas without spending as much as a CV whilst potentially being better quality than an Affinity one for probably half the price 2nd hand...
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Mortland said:
    ellwood said:

I mean it must be hard to resist. You’re only in Leicester and I work next to EMA. That’s only like 15/20 minutes away, basically on your door step. 
    Oh. Good. Great. Thanks for that.

Am in Tenerife for work at the moment. If it is still there when I get back we might have to talk...
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Vintage V52's are rather good I have found
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I've never liked Telecasters but I'm right with you on Vintage guitars. My first singlecut guitar was a Vintage and it was so incredibly good that I upgraded to a gibson Les Paul. I tried loads of alternatives but I found the Vintage way better than Epiphone, LTD and Ibanez for a fraction of the money. The PRS was good but didn't have the balls or attitude of the Vintage. Of everything I tried, only the Gibson made me want to play in the way the Vintage did. Absolutely incredible guitars for the money.
    Funny .I had a similar epiphany  when i got a vintage Zip from Gumtree .It played really sweetly and felt right even its sound is rather odd ,two strat ceramics wired as a humbucker .It made me investigate LesPaul types .I have a Midtown but the smaller  more compact Les Paul  hits the spot .I still dont actually have a Les Paul as i am avoiding Epis and cant afford a proper Lester  and unless the gorgeous Midtown goes  cant afford  one  eithe r. A Vintage may beckon(lemon Drop ? .I am playing mainly jazz now so my Keiper 109 hollow body Les Paul sized jazzer is fitting a useful hole .
  • rossi said:
    Vintage V52's are rather good I have found
    I'm tempted by the icon one as well...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Every guitarist must own a tele and a les Paul and a 335/Gretsch -it’s the law isn’t it? :)
    *wishes he never sold his Les Paul 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3208
    munckee said:
    No les pauls thanks, strat, tele, 335 and possible a jaguar/jazzmaster.
    Maybe a jazzmaster but strats are best kept hidden like a guilty secret I find. Great to play with in private but really not for public consumption. ;)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Neil said:
    Neil said:
    Never! Strats are still better!

But I do like my modded MIM Tele.
    I've given up on strats. I've tried loads, owned a few and they've all been gash. 
    Yes I can see how something that feels like a plank with no comfort contouring, has one less pick up and no trem could be superior to a Strat.  ;)
    Ive never really got the point of comfort contours. My strat has them. My teles dont. The teles are more comfrtable.

Do they make more of an impact if you're, ahem, overweight?
    Nice dig. 

Out of interest how is your Tele more comfortable?

A flat plank (and usually heavier)  with more difficult upper register access......... versus a Strat. 
    It just hangs in the right place with ease. Strats I've tried don't. Also, when sitting down it just nestles nicely.

i like all 3 sounds on a tele, where as I only really like 1 and 5 on the strat. I find trems a faff (though I do like a bigsby) and I don't like the strats pick up selector position.

But really it's splitting hairs - I have no issue playing either, though give me money, send me to a shop and most likely I'll come out with a Tele, they just suit me. I've never found upper fret access an issue at all, or weight. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    My Burns Dual Sonic Semi-Hollow Tele is, by far, the best guitar I've owned.

Wasn't entirely sure of its origins (no model number) so have been emailing Barry Gibson at Burns and he told me it was made in 2010 as a market test. He said he is planning to produce more later this year or next year.

It's got 335 ish tones on the neck HB, great rhythm tone in the middle with the HB split and the Bridge SC is just incredible. The Rez-O-Tube bridge sustains for days. Weight is very comfortable. 

They are just a great, simple design that sound fantastic.