New PRS S2 Studio - A strattier PRS?

What's Hot
Hi all,

PRS have released a very intriguing guitar - the S2 Studio - check out the video on the PRS website:

http://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/s2/s2_studio

I will definately try one out when they are available.

As someone who loves stratty guitars, there have been some really great options in recent times (e.g. MM Cutlass, Ibanez AZ) and more choice can't hurt.

Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks pretty cool.

I’m a big fan of the ergonomics of 22 fret PRS, I think it’s a good thing they’re expanding the options for them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks pretty cool.

I’m a big fan of the ergonomics of 22 fret PRS, I think it’s a good thing they’re expanding the options for them.
    I agree, it’s nice that PRS have such a wide range.

I am hoping this is priced competitively, but I’ve just noticed, this looks like a limited run product line that they are only going to do until the end of March, so it’s unlikely. It’s a shame, it would be great to have these options available always.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I want to scream wrong but i kinda like :-/
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    edited January 2018
    Nikc said:
    I want to scream wrong but i kinda like :-/
    When I first saw this body shape I hated it... kinda grew on me somehow....

On the plus side it sounds good in the vids on prs’ website. :-)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Those are far and away the two best pickup designs in the S2 lineup, so good on em for using them wisely. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Looks really cool too bad the colours are pretty dull though.  
  • Love it! I’ve secretly hoped they’d start using the S2 standard as a flat-bed for more variations - it’s a great guitar anyway, so seeing them offer something a little different is cool. The down-side is that resale on S2s has been abyssmal, so these will be difficult to justify compared to a used Core model, but at least now they’re starting to diverge a little further.
  • Whitecat said:
    Those are far and away the two best pickup designs in the S2 lineup, so good on em for using them wisely. 
    Agree, the pickup wiring looks really interesting, it really looks to be a versatile guitar, can’t wait to have a play on one.

Adam_MD said:
    Agreed, I think the black and tobacco burst look pretty good though - perhaps of it sells well enough we’ll get maple necks and more colour options? (Optimistically thinking).
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I really like it! I've got an S2 Vela, and it's using the same pickups, which I rate highly! If I could only justify the McCarty burst model, my Vela would have a colour matched partner!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339
    That’s really nice! 
  • Sounds great and versatile; anyone looking for a Fendery PRS should try to check out an original Swamp Ash Special with the H/S/H p/up configeration.  Probably my favourite PRS
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Adam_MD said:
    Yeah, uninspiring was my thought. The shape of the pickguard irks me as well
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14445
    tFB Trader
    looks interesting - a bit of a shout back to the early EG days albeit 22 fret - any info on pricing yet - I've got to chat to PRS today on another matter so will see if more info
  • looks interesting - a bit of a shout back to the early EG days albeit 22 fret - any info on pricing yet - I've got to chat to PRS today on another matter so will see if more info
    It would be great if you could find out what pricing is, the S2 line is priced around £1k to £1.3k so hopefully this will be in that region, making it competitive with Fender and other s type guitars
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, Im  VERY interested in this. 

I have a S2 standard 24 and the Vela and love how these guitars play in fact I probably play these two guitars more than my '91 CU24.   

I dont think this Studio will give me that radical a tone than what can be had from my Vela but i'd still want one all the same, its something i thought of doing with a Standard 22, getting a new guard cut and going HSS.

The Starla bridge pickup is just great for any music style in my opinion and the Type D is a killer singlecoil verging on P90 pickup .

I hope their priced right and they continue to build them year round.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    I believe US MAP is $1399, so work it out from there... 

I think the Vernon Reid S2 was the first PRS guitar to be the same “number” in both dollars and pounds, so it may very well be £1399 here. 
  • Antique WhiteBlackFrost Blue MetallicFrost Green MetallicMcCarty Tobacco Sunburst

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Nice! Now if they'd just do a single cut satin with twin P90's....
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    The McCarty is pretty tempting....
  • I've not been a huge fan of the scratchplate either way on the regular S2s but it does look 'right' with this pickup combo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom