NuTube Pedals and Amps... Is this tech taking off? Is it actually needed?

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2610
edited January 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader

Wow that's expensive (£239) but I think that's just because its a new technology.. Its interesting that pedal makers are getting involved with this new approach....

If you haven't seen what a NuTube is, its a replacement for old glass tubes which some think will start becoming harder to get (so they say) so thus why they are looking in to new tech. Still too early me thinks...

This is the NuTube vid

And the new Tube Screamer that uses one

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    If it works, the more open minded users will buy it.  Meanwhile, the Luddites won’t.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Players who value tubes are getting older and older, as they die off they'll become less relevant and new tech will take over. All Hail our computerised overlords!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    All Hail our computerised overlords!
    I read that in the voice of your avatar!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Awful presentation 
    but it’s probably going to be used more in the future just becauseit it can be easily surface mounted and part of modern production .

the acid test is if it can sound as good or comparable 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    It strikes me as a needlessly difficult and expensive way to force a technology into a different use, so I suspect it's more of a marketing opportunity to sell to people who think that anything with a valve in it is inherently better, than a real technological breakthrough. Its characteristics are so different from a normal valve that really the only thing it has in common is a vacuum. I'll keep an open mind but the demos I've heard of the Tube Screamer with it in don't sound great.

It reminds me of Clive Sinclair's pocket TV - which most of you younger than me won't remember at all... it actually used a miniature CRT tube, with the screen at right angles using some clever trickery to bend the electron beam round the corner. It worked, but it was fairly pointless because the picture was too small to be seen clearly even with some extra trickery with a lens in front of it. Within only a year or two LCDs had overtaken it completely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2329

They seem pretty decent in the mini Vox amps, but incredibly expensive in the TS pedals.

Do we even NEED a tube 'replacement'?! Surely the next steps are already being taken in the digital world with the Helix etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They seem pretty decent in the mini Vox amps, but incredibly expensive in the TS pedals.

Do we even NEED a tube 'replacement'?! Surely the next steps are already being taken in the digital world with the Helix etc?

You mean using millions of transistors to do what one valve does?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Can't see the demand for big glowing glass bottles dying out anytime soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I’m only interested if the tech can work the same way a valve poweramp does.

I think there are already great sounding non valve preamps, both solid state and digital, but through a guitar cabinet a valve poweramp still sounds best to me and has the most pleasing dynamic response, especially at higher volumes. High powered SS can sound good too though and be significantly lighter. I have no idea if it’s possible to design something that sounds like a valve power section at the weight of an SS but will be very interested when that tech arrives.
  • I have no idea if it’s possible to design something that sounds like a valve power section at the weight of an SS but will be very interested when that tech arrives.
    They've been trying for years
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27158

They seem pretty decent in the mini Vox amps, but incredibly expensive in the TS pedals.

You mean using millions of transistors to do what one valve does?
    Of course, but those same transistors can be used for any number of other things when applied in something like a Helix
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires