Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you pay someone to write your CV?

What's Hot
Ive been looking around for a small business idea I can do on top of my day job to raise a little cash and came across people doing this for a fee. I've always been reasonably good at "writing professionally" and always done OK with my own CV so I was wondering if it might be worth a try. 
I'm not sure how relevant it would be for people on here but for youngsters, older people who might be out of touch with modern expectations and anyone poorly educated I would like to think I could really help them out and I find that really appealing aside from the money.

So any thoughts guys? There seems to be quite a few people doing it, anyone used one? 
How very rock and roll
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited January 2018
    No, I wouldn't. 
    If you're thinking of opening a business and investing in yourself, invest some trust in your skills first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Pretty poor show if someone can't even knock up a CV! Still, give it a whirl, there may be some people out there who want the service. I can't see there being much money in it. Those who need help are probably short on dosh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    edited January 2018
    I'm 100% inclined to agree but I guess for some sitting down and organising their employment history into a succumb succinct CV is hard. At least harder than attending an interview and representing themselves face to face? I get that side of it. I just find it an interesting thing to do tbh!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, I wouldn't. 
    If you're thinking of opening a business and investing in yourself, invest some trust in your skills first.
    I think you've misunderstood, I was thinking of helping other people to write their CVs as a "business"
    How very rock and roll

• axisus said:
    Those who need help are probably short on dosh. 
    That was my first thought. Honestly I like the idea of helping others but it would have to pay at the end of the day!
    How very rock and roll
  • There are enough guides and help online to not have to pay someone to do it.
  • IMO if you can't write a CV (even after you've been told how to), then you're probably not capable of doing the kind of job that requires application via CV. Last time I was looking for a job I saw loads of jobs where the only permitted application was via their form, they were the kind of job I didn't want to do anyway ...

btw, whats a "succumb CV" ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • btw, whats a "succumb CV" ?
    typing on a phone is balls, edited now!
    How very rock and roll
  • @benmurray85 that makes a lot more sense! :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Big Headhunters and City Rainmakers all use professional CV writers although we are talking about a whole different level
     -those people are applying for jobs with salaries in the Millions
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    I'm 100% inclined to agree but I guess for some sitting down and organising their employment history into a succumb succinct CV is hard. At least harder than attending an interview and representing themselves face to face? I get that side of it. I just find it an interesting thing to do tbh!
    The first line there begs the question of how you would write the CV for that person if they have to sit down and write out the information anyway. Unless the service included them telling you what job they were applying for and then a telephone discussion with you where you try and pull out of them all the skills which they might have for that job which they don't immediately realise. You'd need some good understanding of recruitment for that I guess.

The only time I've wanted people to play with my CV are at work where we're bidding for projects and there's a specific CV template which we have to rewrite our CVs to fit in to - that can be a right pain in bum, but it kinda all needs to be done within the company as it's related to commercially sensitive bids.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    There are several companies that will do that, or will review them already. This company, www.cvandinterviewadvisors.co.uk, won't write it (I don't think) but will certainly help you review and re-write it, as well as your online profile (Linkedin for example).

"Go to www.cvandinterviewadvisors.co.uk/blackfridaynonpw and you can buy our Pro Level CV service and an overhaul of your LinkedIn profile for just £275 + Vat."

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15552
    oddly enough, it was from writing my CV that I first thought I should go into fiction writing. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4193
    BigMonka said:
    You'd need some good understanding of recruitment for that I guess.
    Given that vast swathes of the IT recruitment industry are clogged full of people with absolutely no understanding of either recruitment or IT, I'm not sure that'd be a particular handicap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    No. If I couldn't write a decent CV tailored for the job I was applying for, I wouldn't apply for the job in question because I wouldn't deserve it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I get emails most days offering this service, so there’s already loads trying 
  • I get emails most days offering this service, so there’s already loads trying 
    and what's more, each one has a different way of presenting a CV. After several rewrites 30 years ago, I decided on a format and have stuck to it since.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I went/ got sent  on a CV writing thing when I was made redundant. Ex Barclays HR guy, assuming he knew what he was talking about then a lot of the online information isn’t very good so I can see how you can end up with a poor CV despite good intentions. If you are unemployed there’s lots of free advice from the job centre. Already lots of relatively large organisations happy  to charge you to write a CV or to learn how to put one together so it’s a tough market place. 

Reality is for me that pretty much anything I apply for it’s an application form anyway and a CV is pointless, the only real use is for a CV is for agency work. So, no, I wouldn’t pay. Organisations working with young people, people with disabilities, long term unemployed ( ie hard to place people)would be looking to employ someone with those kind of skills ( employment advice type jobs). It would be useful work but wouldn’t make your fortune. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    A lot of recruitment agencies will also tweak any CV before sending it to prospective employers. I'm currently recruiting for a role. Had a CV come through directly and also via and agency for the same candidate - other than the facts the CV's themselves were presented very differently. The one from the agency was much more engaging and stood out.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I once had a bloke wrote in to apply for a job. The job advert asked for applicants to send in a CV, and in his letter he said he didn’t have a CV but if he got the job, he’d get one done.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom