Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Would you welcome a lesson from your guitar idol??

What's Hot
jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
Just watched a YouTube vid of a guy who won a guitar lesson with Joe Satriani.

Although his playing ability was light years ahead of mine (I wonder how many times he practised Satch Boogie before the lesson...) it got me thinking about how many guitarists would actually embrace/enjoy such an opportunity?

I know that the chance is slim to none for most but I struggle to strum a simple chord progression in a guitar shop - let alone trying to nail the octave section at the start of Tender Surrender in front of Mr Val!!

Just wondered...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7814
    Yeah. I think I'd go for Richard Thompson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    So you’re saying if you won a one off lesson with Steve Vai you’d turn it down?!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Hmmm I'd probably go with Marc Ribot at the moment.
  • RebarRebar Frets: 138
    I couldn't turn down the chance of a guitar lesson from Brian May. However, if he started on about badgers I'd have to call time on the whole thing. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    @hassleham - certainly wouldn't turn it down - although not sure how Steve would feel when he asks me to play something and my mind goes blank- hopefully he enjoys that classic go to track - smoke on the water!!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    Makes me think about that Guitar SAM episode where he wins a lesson with Billy Gibbons and drives him mad talking about how to hold an open G. Well, it’s funny in cartoon form...

It’d be good, presumably they’d just teach me something at my level. Jim Campilongo please. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24848
    Yeah. I think I'd go for Richard Thompson.
    He’d be a great one....
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Hell yeah. Would love to sit down with Mayer for an hour. After 59 minutes of incredibly invasive and personal questions about Ms. Perry we can go over the bit from Gravity that I can’t play 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14358
    tFB Trader
    SRV or Robben Ford - seen a few R Ford video's that are very useful

However great players are not necessarily great teachers - they can do it themselves but not always able to communicate what is natural to them, to you - same applies to tennis, golf and football managers - many great players never made it as managers
    In principle I'd say yes, but would hope to get something out of it that I can use and instantly take with me and add to my playing, as against having to try and understand how to split the atom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Django Rheinhardt all the way.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2416
    I'd love a lesson with Robben Ford too. Matt Schofield if he's busy.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Dead would be Jimi
    Alive probably John Frusciante 
    As much as I love Gilmour I think I'd end up just thinking he's a bit aloof, calling him a knob then realising I'd  fallen into the "don't meet your heroes" trap 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I had a Skype lesson with Greg Koch last year and honestly I was smiling so much that in hindsight  I don’t think I learned much at all.  I was awestruck and he was so entertaining that the hour whizzed by.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4134
    Im going to a guitar clinic with Steve vai in March as part of Andertons shop.  Can't wait. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2018
    Steve Vai.

Gilmour got me interested in the guitar, Hendrix got me excited about the guitar but Vai kept me going with Inpsiration.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9735
    Mark Knopfler. Comes across as a normal guy but takes his music and guitars seriously. Think he’d be interesting and informative.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4929
    HAL9000 said:
    Mark Knopfler. Comes across as a normal guy but takes his music and guitars seriously. Think he’d be interesting and informative.
    Mmm, good call.  Also maybe James Taylor.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    @DrCornelius I'm thinking of booking a "Greg" but like you I'd probably be awestruck!!!

And what do you ask to go over or does he get you to play and then give you ideas? I could end up completely cack handed trying to play in front of him..
  • Well he will work on whatever you want really , he’s noodling all the time when he’s speaking to you and I just kept realising that I was just gurning like an idiot watching him and not actually playing. He is so comfortable in what he’s doing that he can respond to anything you ask - technical / music theory /mechanical technique / gear / the music biz etc etc.  

Best 100 dollars I’ve spent (actually it was a gift from my wife)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1487
    JD50 said:
    Hmmm I'd probably go with Marc Ribot at the moment.
    In the early 80's I played bass on a recording session with Marc at Right Track Studios in NYC.  I was also over at his apartment to go over the arrangements.  All the other players commented how good he was.  I remember that he had just got a boss CE-2 and wanted to use it.  We recorded 2 songs I think and spent the whole afternoon there.  
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom