What knob do I need? (Tele)

What's Hot
I have a MIM thinline 69 tele missing the metal knurled knob. What size do I need anyone know? I’m also gonna put a 250k Bol pot in, what diameter though? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10312

I've bought a few of these for various guitars with good results.They secure with a grub screw so there's a little wiggle room.

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Domed-Barrel-Knobs-p/ns005.htm
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Why not buy two knobs, then you’ll know they match
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland said:
    Why not buy two knobs, then you’ll know they match
    Good idea, just wanted to ensure what I bought fitted shaft 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    knurled shaft isn't the grub screw type.
    I have the push on type you need.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Just as an aside, if you try to fit a grub-screw knob to a split shaft, you'll squash the two halves together and probably break one off - or if you don't, the knob will then wobble as you turn it.

What to do is get an old pick of the same thickness as the slot in the shaft, and cut a piece to fit into it. You can then tighten the grub screw without breaking the shaft.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I think we're confusing the issue here.

The knurled part relates to the outer machining on the knob itself, not split shaft pots.

The correct knob for a MIM tele is full (e.g. cts) size, and the correct shape for a '69 would be flat top, not domed, but that's down to taste.

I believe the 69 thinline uses solid shaft 1 meg pots - check that first. So you would need two flat top tele knobs with grub screws. If you're changing the vol to 250k you would need a CTS solid shaft pot, though I would consider going 250k for both vol and tone. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Depends on the year and model - Fender started using 6mm dia. solid shaft alpha pots in some of the Mexican range, since at least 2012 with the La Cabronitas.