You ever buy a guitar from an USA store?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    SunDevil said:
    No reason not to buy from the US - actually for me this is more about which guitar brands you can buy blind (due to consistent build quality) and which vary enough that you need to get hands on before you know what’s what.

For example, I’ve found that Heritages (bought from Jay a couple of times) tend to have uneven frets and need a light dressing, whereas Suhrs always seem to be perfect out of the box.

I would have to agree in the specific instance of my Heritage, it actually needed quite a bit of work to make it right but as it was a gift and returning it was a bit of an undertaking I took it to @FelineGuitars for a fret dress, earvana nut, setup and now it is a beast.
    Although on reflection, with the cost of the work and the nigh on £400 on import duties I think I’d have been better just ordering a FatCat from Jonathan....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At the current exchange rate, with an extra 25% on top for taxes and duty, it would have to be something otherwise unavailable for me to even consider it.

Sending something back across the Atlantic if it's not right is reason enough to think twice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    This week I bought a 1951 Stella by Harmony Parlor from Rivington Guitars of New York, NY and yesterday a 1969 Stella by Harmony 12 string acoustic from Funky Junk of Nashville, TN.
    Both in excellent condition. 

Rivington Guitars used FedEx and I tracked my Stella by Harmony parlor here, and it was last scanned in at Stansted at the FedEx sorting facility but the airport there since yesterday 18:22/6:22 pm

I also bought a 3rd guitar this week, also from America, from Tynan, TX.
    but that's a private seller.
    It's basically like my DNxxxxxx American Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (with a maple neck)  built 1999 - 2000 but has a Rosewood neck and a wooden block making it a hard tail.
    It's built 2000 - 2001. ZOxxxxxx American Fender Deluxe Straocaster with the same finish as my first Fender and first buy/Tanglewood Nevada FST 32K I bought new in 2001.
    I haven't seen the Tremolo to my first buy in over 10 years, so this having a wooden block to block the tremolo and make it a hard even reminds me of that guitar too.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/8431526-fender-american-deluxe-stratocaster-2000-teal-green

I'm expecting to pay import duties though.

All 3 guitars I found from Reverb.com
    The first guitar from NY was bought 4 days ago, the 2nd one was bought at 4 o'clock this morning and the 3rd one was bought 4 hours ago...
    I don't expect those two to ship, yet.
    edited January 2018
    It's also dawned on me I've never imported into the EU before, until this week.
    All 3 of them came from America despite looking at 2 guitars from from sellers in Japan which sold out before I made up my mind.
    edited January 2018
    I know what guitar I want next, but I've ran out of money for any buys that I want, but that Gibson Les Paul I want now was found on an American website I found off of YouTube based in Los Angeles and I enquired about this beautiful Gibson Les Paul with the finish and neck I want... They never emailed back when I asked about if they shipped international.

I'm a Gibson Guy (right) who now has as many Stellas by Harmony and Fenders as I do Gibsons... (Not good); So I do sort of want that Gibson Les Paul/one like I saw this week to make it 3 Gibsons to 2 Stellas or Fenders and to have that particular Gibson with that neck and finish too.

Since ever right, I've got this shopping list of guitars that I want.
    So I know what I want if ever I see one.

Until  this week, I've had to rely on guitars I want with the exact finishes and headstocks that I want being in the UK, which takes years.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    I’ve bought two guitars (Heritage and Hamer) also from Wolfe Guitars - all very easy.  The FX rate was way better than today though.  Both of the guitars at the time were pretty much unavailable in Europe so worth it
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    cbellanga said:
    Bought my es175 from Chicago music exchange 3 weeks ago. Cheaper than buying second hand in the UK (there was a 15% Xmas sale at the time). Paid with PayPal and arrived in 1week. Great service
    Any hold-ups / questions with the rosewood fingerboard coming in?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12002
    3 of my 7 guitars are from the States.  It was from a time where £1 was about $1.55/1.60.  About 20% than it is now which means I’m getting it tax free compare to thsee days.