Wood burner - Stove fans recommended

What's Hot
I have no affiliation with these people but really impressed with these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOMERSUN-Blades-Powered-Burner-Fireplace/dp/B0756ZWNS3

Still 'on offer'. I was so impressed I bought another one so have one in each corner at the back, they really do spread the heat around. They are of course only needed if your wood burner is in a recessed fireplace where you the heat sits above the stove.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 611
    @BigMonka ;

I dare you to try two of them, dare ya! You'll have field mice from hundreds of miles away snugging in your attic :-)

What size/rating is your wood burner? Ours is a 10KW in a small house but I'm sure with well seasoned logs it can kick out 15KW :-)
    That's it - gloves off . . . . . but I can't decide:

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    OK, you win...that round...

I'm installing a modest-sized nuclear fission reactor to generate heat. Stoves and fans are so 20th century.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Bloody hell I remember when it was just the Ecofan and they were £120 I bought one for the narrowboat and one for home.  I remember at the time everyone being sceptical and saying they were a novelty - now they are everywhere.  
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited January 2018
    I had my stove packing out so hot the other day it went off the temp dial withing 10 min of start up...

Same wood, following days it just sits simmering/sulking...

http://stovefanreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/stove-thermometer2-e1431258031302.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Huge difference in a recessed fireplace but I can't see making that much difference on a narrow boat if the stove is in the open?? Yep I remember Ecofan as main dealer at those prices - silly money hence I held back and  the benefit of capitalism  with market forces kicked in :-)
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    @notanon oh yes brilliant on narrowboats  the problem being how you get the warm air to circulate down what is basically a long tube.  Before the Ecofan folk use to employ computer fans, some even use ducting as well.    
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I was about to order the fan the OP linked to, when I realised something was an issue - our recessed burner only has a few inches above it, so not enough space for a fan of that type.  Damn!

Is there anything that is about 4" tall available, and if so, would this have big enough blades to actually circulate the heat?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    Fretwired said:
    we heat our house from timber yard offcuts and wood harvested from our own coppice, all carbon neutral and less than a few miles travelled. How do you heat your house?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    Fretwired said:
    we heat our house from timber yard offcuts and wood harvested from our own coppice, all carbon neutral and less than a few miles travelled. How do you heat your house?
    Gas. I think that 60 per cent of the houses where I live have wood burning stoves or burn wood in fireplaces. The smog can be horrendous and the fine particles make me cough and wheeze. I see cities in Canada and the USA have banned them due to pollution. I like the smell of a wood fire, but wood burning stoves just seem to create pollution.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15621
    edited January 2018
    so it's actually woodburners in urban areas that are evil then, it's not the wood burners, it's where they are, though I can understand how that may be confusing. You've been to the emp fab school of absolutes.

EDIT: I bet your gas heating releases waaaaay more carbon than my wood burner. Still focus in the little picture, it's easier to understand :D

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

@richh not sure. Google is your friend. Before these silent fans I used a normal fan. They of course are far more efficient but aesthetically poor.
    @Fretwired understand where you come from.

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2757/rr-0

We live in the valleys so population density very low. I wouldn't want to live in a city full of wood burners.

Then again I wouldn't want to live in a city full of diesel cars with fine particulates that cross
     the pulmonary system and enters the blood stream. That is a recent phenomenon courtesy of improving the efficiency of diesel engines. Nobody knows the long term effects :-(

VimFuego said:
    so it's actually woodburners in urban areas that are evil then, it's not the wood burners, it's where they are, though I can understand how that may be confusing. You've been to the emp fab school of absolutes.

EDIT: I bet your gas heating releases waaaaay more carbon than my wood burner. Still focus in the little picture, it's easier to understand :D
    Nah .. more people die in cities from pollution caused by wood burners, diesel cars etc than gas. If you're in the country then fine but I have a friend who got married last year and moved to a small village in the country with her new husband and wood burners blight her life. so its not just a big city issue.

And an example from the Times on 2 January 2018.

Canal boat owners are turning the waterways of Cambridge into a “Shanghai industrial wharf” because of the smoke created by their wood-burning stoves, according to locals.

Dozens of narrow boat dwellers on the River Cam use their stoves to keep warm in the winter. Local householders, walkers and runners say that clouds of “toxic” fumes are creating a health hazard, especially for those who suffer from respiratory ailments.

Alistair Wilson, the city council’s streets and open space development manager, said that boat owners were licensed and had an obligation to burn smokeless fuel. “If they don’t do that, the licence could be terminated,” he said.

The council’s moorings policy says that permit holders “must not create nuisance by smoke” but many are thought to flout the rules by using cheap coal or logs and sticks foraged from nearby woods.

Tony Eva, chairman of the Cambridge Green Party, said: “It’s a very serious problem. A big part of the problem is that it’s being released at a low level.”

Residents of Riverside say the pollution is a health risk. Lynette Gilbert, 59, said that in winter the air was “at times basically unbreathable”, adding: “It’s like a sort of Shanghai industrial wharf.”

The council’s latest local plan is said to insist that new residential moorings, where people are licensed to live on their boats all year round, are granted only if boats rely on electricity. The plan is awaiting approval by the communities secretary. However, some boat dwellers have said they are reluctant to switch to electricity unless it is free, with local taxpayers footing the bill.

And its a big issue in Denmark:

Pollution from wood burning in Denmark contributes with about 50% of all health damages from Danish pollution sources corresponding to a total health cost in Denmark of around 800 million euros a year. This makes pollution from wood burning the most expensive environmental problem in Denmark harming Danes several times more than fine particles from domestic road traffic.

In addition, recent research indicates that soot particles from, among others, wood burning seem to be more harmful than inorganic particles formed in the atmosphere from ammonia, sulphates and nitrogen oxides. Furthermore, wood burning is a key source to many other toxic pollutants. Thereby, air pollution from wood burning can be much more damaging than pointed out above.

It does not see logical than an eco-labelled stove is allowed to pollute 25 times more than a 10 year old truck.

Read the report: http://shop.ecocouncil.dk/varedetaljer.asp?shopid=851152&funique=287&kat=16&hkat=6

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Pollution from wood burning stoves in canal boats, also rural houses, is negligeable in the overall global pollution problem. Cheap flights, intensive agriculture, road transport are the main sources of pollution. Canal boat owners - continue as you are. You are not the problem.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Pollution from wood burning stoves in canal boats, also rural houses, is negligeable in the overall global pollution problem. Cheap flights, intensive agriculture, road transport are the main sources of pollution. Canal boat owners - continue as you are. You are not the problem.
    Rock on .. ignore the science ... bet you didn't even check out the link above.