Dedicated Pedals v multi effects (Zoom, Boss . . .)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    eSully said:
    ICBM said:

I think the real breakthrough for multi-FX will be when someone makes a universal software-based system which you can download different effects for, and allows independent developers to access - kind of like Android or iOS for pedals. Or maybe I'm out of touch and this exists already...
    I love this idea, an open source OS specifically designed to host FX, allowing anyone to build their own FX and upload to some form of shared FX store. Assignable pedalboards!! I guess it would be similar to what you can achieve now through a DAW with plugins but then assignable to an offline pedalboard!!
    Yes, exactly - a hardware box with say ten 'pedals' each having a dedicated footswitch and three or four knobs, which you could buy and download effects for and assign to any of them. The code should be available so independent developers can make their own effects and sell them through the online store. I'm sure all the individual elements of the technology exist already - it's basically a combination of the Zoom G3/G5 with the Line 6 Tonecore series and the Apple Store - but as far as I know no-one has put it all together.

I don't have the technical knowledge to do it, but I'd guess there may be someone here who does.
    Ask and you will receive: https://hoxtonowl.com/

(not exactly what you describe but not far off)

Plus of course there's Empress' new Zoia...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Nearly all of my playing is in a band situation so there is rarely time to bend down and fiddle with anything. It has to be set ready to go and sound good (if not perfect), while being easily accessable.
    Since the sets can get jumbled having a multi FX/switcher with numbers to remember is a no go and waiting for keyboard players to set thier sounds is frustrating for all concerned. Also if I lose a drive I have two others (plus the amp?), similar for other effects. You can at a pinch use chorus instead of flange and flange instead of phase or reverb instead of echo. Not ideal but in a live situation you make it work or the sound man can cover those distinct repeats. I think having years of managing separate pedals on a board I have a comfort with that system. The idea of learning to program a box with up and down buttons and make it work real time doesn't fill me with awe. Also I've seen a lot of technology be the latest greatest thing and then slip into obscurity or not be capable of maintenance long term. While individual components are widely available I think pedals will remain a viable option. I appreciate others needs and experience will be quite different.

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I've been using a Boss GT-10 for quite a few years now.  What I like about it is the ability to switch in and out several effects, with just one foot tap.......or even modify a parameter of an effect with just one tap.  This is bearing in mind that I'm the only guitar player in the band and do backing vocals too, so I have plenty going on when playing.
    ive never had any issues with the sounds, and remembering what is where is kept pretty easy as all the patches can be given a meaningful name and you just need to be organised.
    The potential downside is that you have to have the patience to read the manual and program the thing.  No problem for me as I've been doing techy stuff all my life, but I can understand that it's not for some (many???).
    I've recently been trying out individual analog pedals in rehearsals.  The jury is still out.  There does seem to be more dynamism to analog drives, but the amount of foot tapping I have to do to get through some songs is a bind.  I can't see that I'll be changing to pedals for gigs any time soon.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited January 2018
    Will there be a time when multi effects replace all other pedals?

All the multi effects options out there are great these days - from Zoom, Mooer GE200 to Helix, Headrush, Fractal, Boss GT1000, Atomic Amplifire etc.

In my amp and cab days I pretty much only ever went straight into the front of the amp. I had two channels (clean, gain).
    The only pedals I've ever owned are a Proco rat and Arion Stereo Chorus. Didn't see the need for anything else really.

I now own an Atomic Amplifire 12 and have more tones and effects that I ever wanted. Option paralysis is a definite danger.
    Honestly there are so many parameters in that thing that all I do is set up a decent compressor, boost (usually overdrive or tubescreamer) chorus (clean), phase (dirty), delay and use those across the top row (with tap tempo / tune as the last switch on the top row). I leave a little reverb switched on most of the time (only a little). Then across the bottom I have 5 different amp/cab settings from clean (Fender) to crunch (Cornford) to lead (Marshall). Job done.

It's brilliant. And once I've set it up this way I can pretty much every tone or effect that I want.

For me, multieffects have replaced pedals.

How is the quality improving over the years for the multi effects -  seems to be exponential improvements to me.
    I think the big jump has come with the latest generation SHARC based multieffects and their equivalents. I see it as like when smartphones finally became smart (iPhone, HTC desire etc).