C18Q1 - Making a thick Poly finish look a lot less awful

What's Hot
I recently picked up an lower end 80s Greco which had survived the intervening 30 years essentially unscathed thanks to about 3 feet of solid lacquer. Great playing guitar but there was a bit too much "boiled sweet" about the finish:

Armed only with an orbital sander, some scouring pads and some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper it ended up looking like this:

Not sure why the photos have a bit of a vaseline-smeared finish to them, assuming that was just poor lighting. Either way for a few hours work the guitar now feels a huge amount better, still needs a quick polish but overall I'm very pleased.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Looks mega mate, well done :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12408
    A decent car polish and a buffer attachment on a drill will give it a shine, noting like the original but looks good.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    munckee said:
    A decent car polish and a buffer attachment on a drill will give it a shine, noting like the original but looks good.
    Yeah, I think I grabbed the wrong one - tried that with Meguiars Shine x2 or whatever it's called and it left a very metallic glitter in the finish. It's not quite as smeary as it looks in the photos above but I'm going to give it a shot with some turtle wax and see what happens.
    I use turtle wax and its nice.  I also have Dr Ducks Ax Wax which I use on guitars as a general cleaner which gives a subtle shine, prolongs strings too apparently.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Bit of an update on this one. Since the last post I managed to remove the tailpiece mounting rings using a jerry-rigged contraption consisting of some bits of an old vape, a bolt and a couple of washers. I've now fitted a full set of Schaller vintage copper hardware, some iron gear pickups (for the time being) and I'm waiting for some mother of pearl inlays to arrive so I can replace the existing inlays which have gone almost entirely transparent with age.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    That's great looking guitar.  Love the hardware :)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Beautiful job and lovely looking guitar :)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That looks much nicer now.  
    Looks really good
  • Those tuners suit it really well - nice.