Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parlour guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    Lewy said:
    People speak highly of the Loar brand parlours for county blues, although I haven’t tried one myself.

I have an LH-200, which is bigger than a parlour but definitely has that Gibson pre-war Robert Johnson aesthetic. It's very playable and very-well-made, but they don't seem to be marketed over here any more
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    edited January 2018
    If you're looking for a sound similar to Robert Johnson's then you should start with a ladder-braced instrument. The Kalamazoo KG 14 that he is said to have used is one such. I think most of the cheap guitars around in those days were ladder-braced. 

There is a clip on Youtube which explains the difference between ladder-bracing and the more style modern x-bracing on the Collings Waterloo model (X-Bracing vs Ladder Bracing - Bracing Comparison w/ Waterloo by Collings ...)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TallBeardy1TallBeardy1 Frets: 1
    edited January 2018
    Look at Tanglewoods, I've got a TW73e and I love it. Sounds awesome. Mines a higher end one but the TW3 starts the range at £300 and I didn't pay much more for mine pre owned. I tune it down half a step and it sings the blues!
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I can sell you a 1951 iconic guitar for £350, which I feel is a better buy than a Tanglewood.
    What I've got...
    Elvis had one.

People buy 'em for their sound.

It's a fun little tiger striped guitar

I'd be losing on the p+p it cost me to get this thing to England but, IDK, I'd take this over a Tanglewood anyday.

This is it this week, when it came in, before the guitar strap that's going to come with it...

This was it in NYC last week...

It took me a while to find one with this spec, since eveyone else has a later 50's one with a truss rod compared to this/Elvis one.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    Palour Guitars I always keep them in the kitchen at parties
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I have a dusty Jim Dandy I could be persuaded to part with...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Look at Tanglewoods, I've got a TW73e and I love it. Sounds awesome. Mines a higher end one but the TW3 starts the range at £300 and I didn't pay much more for mine pre owned. I tune it down half a step and it sings the blues!
    Have a tangle wood in the classifieds if anyone's interested;)
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2443
    There may or may not be something coming later today. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    You get back on the HXFX thread and spoil some beans ;)
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2443
    John_A said:
    You get back on the HXFX thread and spoil some beans ;)
    Patience young one. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• TAMCOTAMCO Frets: 9
    Take a look at James Neligan and Washburn, they both make nice parlours for not much money. There are some nice Tanglewoods too.
  • My Stella by Harmony parlor guitar

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In the end this £300.00 guitar cost me £195.00 in P+P but they used FedEx and it came right away.
    The duty fees to get this guitar to Britain (and the rest of the EU) market cost me £83.00= £578 on a £300.00 guitar.

I like it.
    Sounds like that (those videos I've shared), looks as good as it sounds, and even has this whole bad boy vibe about it that resonates in my playing and for it, I feel I am a better player. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    In the end this £300.00 guitar cost me £195.00 in P+P but they used FedEx and it came right away.
    The duty fees to get this guitar to Britain (and the rest of the EU) market cost me £83.00= £578 on a £300.00 guitar.

I like it.
    Sounds like that (those videos I've shared), looks as good as it sounds, and even has this whole bad boy vibe about it that resonates in my playing and for it, I feel I am a better player. 
    is it possible to tune it ?

is the weight distributed on it evenly as it appears to be moving around all over the place while you're playing it

is there a problem with the action on it, as you seem to be struggling to hit a single chord
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    darcym said:
    In the end this £300.00 guitar cost me £195.00 in P+P but they used FedEx and it came right away.

I like it.
    is it possible to tune it ?

is the weight distributed on it evenly as it appears to be moving around all over the place while you're playing it

is there a problem with the action on it, as you seem to be struggling to hit a single chord
    It's tuned fine, it sits fine, but you seem to have a problem with life in general and that it doesn't sound all modern, which from a 65 yr old guitar, is fine, but I suggest you go back to Ibanez or something and let the meaty guitar necks be.
    It's got a very chunky V shaped neck that sorts the boys out from the men, the girls out from the women and the pre ops out from the post ops.
    This guitar 'stock' isn't for everybody, but above all - it's a fun strum; if I wanted to, there is a guy in the Midlands who makes it his business to mod these guitars and reset the necks - but to me that would defeat the object (and add more money to the pot for a £300.00 guitar).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

it's certainly not tuned fine, and it certainly moves around an awful lot when being played, and I've not commented on the sound at all, modern or old, so I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that I have a problem with old guitars when pretty much most of my guitars are vintage 60's or vintage 60's spec guitars, I'm also not sure what the neck profile has to do anything, unless you are suggesting (randomly) that people who play Ibanez guitars (you know they have arch top models too with big necks) are somehow lesser players ?, I don't know.

Maybe the chunky V profile neck that is very meaty is perhaps why you are struggling to play it and fret it properly ? maybe it is sorting the men from the boys out ?

Totally uncalled for insult to transgender people suggesting post ops are the "lesser".

• darcym said:

it's certainly not tuned fine, and it certainly moves around an awful lot when being played, and I've not commented on the sound at all, modern or old, so I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that I have a problem with old guitars when pretty much most of my guitars are vintage 60's or vintage 60's spec guitars, I'm also not sure what the neck profile has to do anything, unless you are suggesting (randomly) that people who play Ibanez guitars (you know they have arch top models too with big necks) are somehow lesser players ?, I don't know.

Maybe the chunky V profile neck that is very meaty is perhaps why you are struggling to play it and fret it properly ? maybe it is sorting the men from the boys out ?

Totally uncalled for insult to transgender people suggesting post ops are the "lesser".

Literally, go away/stop talking to me.
    I don't care what you think, your too negative for me to care.
    So IDK, go troll somewhere else.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    Do you even own a parlor guitar? @darcym ;;;
    Do you even have any recording of your playing?
    Are you going to recommend OP buy a Tanglewood or some other modern shit guitar with no heritage or tone to be desired?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    edit - no idea why it put the reply to a thread in the wrong place, ignore..
    edited February 2018
    Do you even own a parlor guitar? @darcym ;;;
    Do you even have any recording of your playing?
    Are you going to recommend OP buy a Tanglewood or some other modern shit guitar with no heritage that I wouldn't be caught dead playing? 

I don't actually owner a parlor, I've been debating one (have a look in some of my older posts where I discuss the problems I have with the generic parlor models and ask for advice on how to get around them) I'm on the look out, hence looking at this forum.

I have recordings of my playing why do you ask ?

I'm not sure why you think modern guitars are shit ? most of them a really good

The Washburn Parlors I played are really really good they just had a few things that I couldn't get over, and the price point - wow, much cheaper than the £490+ you ended up spending on that guitar. I bought a Sigma Parlor to keep as a cost effective practice tool while living away from home for a while, its for sale in the classifieds (so technically yes I do own one, but not one I'd want to keep) it was superb value for money, exceptionally well made, it was the neck profile I struggled with on it, in the end I ended up buying a Martin LXE second hand to keep at that house, and it turned into a great parlor "style" guitar, but it doesn't quite tick the box, but again, very modern, very good, maybe a tad pricey now after Ed Shearan put them back on the map, but I'm on the look out for a Parlor at the moment, and I wouldn't know what to recommend to the OP, hence following the thread.