How do stop yourself buying guitars/basses/amps.....

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited January 2018
    I love that new guitar whatever feeling much too much and have made some poor life choices in terms of spending!

Eventually I realised, that feeling of nailing a really tricky song you've been working on is ultimately far more satisfying. In the same way that if you hit the gym and get in shape, you feel good. The result is the thing, but you know that it was your effort and determination that earned you the result.

For instance, I really am lusting after a cherry red es345 right now. It haunts my dreams. In my minds eye I can see myself playing this mythical instrument, rolling out some seriously tasty Robben Ford meets Freddy King at Hendrix's birthday party licks. Unfortunately, that's all it is... a fantasy. lol. The guitar doesn't make you play better (although it can inspire you), it's that hard work that yields the results.

If you've got stacks of cash, and it makes you happy, why not? In my experience, however, the 'buying a shiny thing' joy never lasts that long. If you are that way inclined, you'll soon spot something else to lust over.

*edit* the irony of typing out this 'wisdom' when I could be spending time practicing is not lost on me ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Make music your primary source of income, that's an instant GAS cure. 

I see gear prices in terms of gigs played, so everything has to justify itself very quickly. For example, repairs and upgrades to my PA last year meant I'd effectively done the previous eleven gigs for nothing. 

I do other things for money too these days, but I still cost things by balancing them against what they earn. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    p90fool said:

I see gear prices in terms of gigs played, so everything has to justify itself very quickly. For example, repairs and upgrades to my PA last year meant I'd effectively done the previous eleven gigs for nothing. 

I do other things for money too these days, but I still cost things by balancing them against what they earn. 

That's very true.

However most people don't earn a living through music and consequently have lots of disposable income to spend on  any toys they fancy.

They are the ones keeping guitar firms in business. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Neil said:
    p90fool said:

That's very true.

However most people don't earn a living through music and consequently have lots of disposable income to spend on  any toys they fancy.

They are the ones keeping guitar firms in business. 
    I totally get that, it's just ironic that I have no difficulty in treating myself to something expensive which doesn't generate ANY income, but feel under pressure to make guitars pay for themselves. 

I guess the OP is hitting a point I got to a few years back, where's it's all feeling a little shallow and pointless. My cure was just to forget about it for a while, travel a bit, make new friends, that kind of stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

FFS

DOOMED.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @Musicman20 Looks like you want to be doomed, and enjoy it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

antifash said:

But seriously, you should examine why you’re on this incessant buying treadmill.
    My life is empty and meaningless - buying gear fills the vast chasm of despair within me.

Or something.

It's not even a joke. I think I might move to Tibet and become a monk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

I do find I buy more gear though when band activities are low.

I also just can't part with things. Not just guitars, like old T-shirts etc. So its only ever an increasing millstone round my neck.

NGD in a month btw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom