Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Has Suhr finally entered the singlecut market?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    edited January 2018
    CHRISB50 said:
    I think it looks pretty good. Like the headstock. 

I don’t really understand the shit Suhr get. They make good guitars, consistently well. Yes, they use other manufacturer’s design as a base, but they normally differ enough, feature wise, to make them worthwhile. 

I agree, usually people hate the headstock of the Fender-esque guitars and give them shit for that, but my Suhr Classic Antique has stood up or beat any Fender CS Strat I have played. They may not be unique but they do what they do consistently well like you said, I have not played a bad Suhr.

Regarding the Aura, I'm sad that it will be a limited run, some of the Custom or limited run guitars they do with 'fancier' woods are £5k, so this anniversary model is probably going to be £7-8k plus, and I guess they will be sold out quickly.

I was hoping for a £3-£3.5k antique/lightly age model, but that's just wishful thinking... I may turn to Rock n Roll Relic or just get a PRS SC as they fall in this price range and are great... or maybe even a Pete Thorn Signature guitar...

I love Suhr and feel like this is a missed opportunity for Suhr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Meh.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    CHRISB50 said:
    I think it looks pretty good. Like the headstock. 

I don’t really understand the shit Suhr get. They make good guitars, consistently well. Yes, they use other manufacturer’s design as a base, but they normally differ enough, feature wise, to make them worthwhile. 

I agree, usually people hate the headstock of the Fender-esque guitars and give them shit for that, but my Suhr Classic Antique has stood up or beat any Fender CS Strat I have played. They may not be unique but they do what they do consistently well like you said, I have not played a bad Suhr.

Regarding the Aura, I'm sad that it will be a limited run, some of the Custom or limited run guitars they do with 'fancier' woods are £5k, so this anniversary model is probably going to be £7-8k plus, and I guess they will be sold out quickly.

I was hoping for a £3-£3.5k antique/lightly age model, but that's just wishful thinking... I may turn to Rock n Roll Relic or just get a PRS SC as they fall in this price range and are great... or maybe even a Pete Thorn Signature guitar...

I love Suhr and feel like this is a missed opportunity for Suhr.
    The custom ones will come, just not this year
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    it's a limited run of 100, so they will be mega expensive and impossible to get :)

https://www.suhr.com/suhr-announces-aura-single-cut-guitar/
    $7,500 it seems :open_mouth: 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1795
    I can see the Henry J rant from the bunker meme.
    What do you mean Suhr make Gibson only Gibson can make Gibson, but their guitar has a singlecut, what a Stratocaster with a single cut. You can write the rest? LOL

At this point with the continued failures of the old guard PRS, Suhr etc are eating Gibson's and Fenders Lunch and slowly nibbling the big boys market share. I was surprised PRS have not yet galvanised the relaunch of their Strat line around J Mayer but I think they are playing the long game with him and bathing in the Halo of him loosely using their stuff. I would reckon that if Suhr are moving into the singlecut world PRS will shortly be wanting to play in their premium Fender Market an area they have failed repeatedly over the years. 

I doubt Suhr are worried about a legal challenge they will have done their homework and frankly I am not sure Gibson needs to drag itself back into that place.  Suhr has a very loyal fan base for their Fender variants so I expect them to pick this up later with a full factory model. 

The Anderson thing was really that Anderson was simply not capitalised having threatened to pull out of the industry on a number of occasion due to lack of interest in his products good as it is to take on the legal might of Gibson who would simply bury them in legal paraphernalia. 

PRS publically thanked his investors who held their nerve and money over the Gibson spat as it could have gone south very quickly with the US legal system.

At some point when things quieten down it might be nice to hear from John on here @Suhr ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451

Looks lovely, but even as a bit of a Suhr fanboy I'll stick with my Les Paul Axcess.

I'd be interested to know what the neck profile is like though. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    Their lava lamp's a bit lethargic.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader

I doubt Suhr are worried about a legal challenge they will have done their homework and frankly I am not sure Gibson needs to drag itself back into that place.  Suhr has a very loyal fan base for their Fender variants so I expect them to pick this up later with a full factory model. 

The Anderson thing was really that Anderson was simply not capitalised having threatened to pull out of the industry on a number of occasion due to lack of interest in his products good as it is to take on the legal might of Gibson who would simply bury them in legal paraphernalia. 

PRS publically thanked his investors who held their nerve and money over the Gibson spat as it could have gone south very quickly with the US legal system.

If they are only making a 100 as a limited run  then they will probably all be sold to the appropriate dealers before any legal challenge can be issued - So it will depend where they go with this as a long term project as to any potential 'law suit'
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    So @hobobulous you in for one of these?
  • Looks amazing!  I bet they will be around £5k though.  It would be a guitar for life. 

dindude said:
    So @hobobulous you in for one of these?

Its a lot of money and requires some very careful consideration
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I bet they'll be pricey :(

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Yeah, about £5k. Not money I have without selling stuff. Not sure, but am tempted to just wait until this becomes a standard run model
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Yeah, about £5k. Not money I have without selling stuff. Not sure, but am tempted to just wait until this becomes a standard run model
    Not the kind of instrument value I'd like to use at my local pub gigs either. When I make it big then I might get one. Mind you when I'm big n famous I'd have more than my fair share of quality instruments given to me they they'll want me to be seen with lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2397
    edited January 2018

If they are only making a 100 as a limited run  then they will probably all be sold to the appropriate dealers before any legal challenge can be issued - So it will depend where they go with this as a long term project as to any potential 'law suit'
    Yes, all 100 already sold to the dealers at NAMM but production will continue afterwards with a slightly different spec and not built by John himself, I'm guessing thus for a slightly more wallet friendly price. Seven grand (dollars) for a guitar built by John these days is not ridiculous, I'd much prefer one of these to the leather bound Tele by John Cruz from the FCS for $29k!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Don’t really get this. Can’t imagine it will be ‘better’ than a PRS Singlecut 594 - or any number of other high-end LP-alikes - so what’s the point of it?
    I think with companies like Suhr, when they release such a market they don't plan for global domination, but if they can sell 100 or 200 or 300 in a year then that fits in with their overall strategy and/or policy - It is icing on the cake to supplement their existing 'super Strat' market

I'd agree that you can't really achieve anything superior to say a PRS 595 so the finer nuances of such guitars will favour one player over another

Agree with you a bit on this one @Matt_McG that it has some Heritage vibe in there somewhere
    595? is that a new model?