Noob question, but how do you wire a pedalboard with a power supply?!

GodlykepowerGodlykepower Frets: 174
edited January 2018 in FX
I’m probably being a spanner, but I’d like to buy a power supply for the pedal board I’m putting together. I’m currently using a One Spot all in one plug thing, and there are wires everywhere.

I’m looking at a One Spot CS7, and on the Andertons page for the product, it says “power 7 pedals..”
but on the Truetone website, they have more than 7 pedals connected - they are running 2 separate pedal boards in fact.

Do I have one wire per pedal from each outlet of the brick, or can I have one wire from an outlet going to two pedals?

If it makes a difference, the pedals I’ll be powering are: Fairfield Circuitry Accountant compressor, ThorpyFX Peacekeeper OD, DOD Looking Glass OD, Strymon El Capistan, Boss RV500, Ditto X4 looper.
I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    You can split if the current draw is low (drive pedals esp)
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    edited January 2018
    Check the power ratings for each pedal (in mA) and then daisy chain them to each other and plug them into one of the isolated outputs - ensuring that the total power does not exceed the rating for that input.

As a guide, you could fit many drive/fuzz pedals in one outlet as they are low powered , with digital pedals taking up much more power.

• I’m looking at a One Spot CS7, and on the Andertons page for the product, it says “power 7 pedals..”
    but on the Truetone website, they have more than 7 pedals connected - they are running 2 separate pedal boards in fact.

It would be more accurate to say "has 7 outlets".

You can daisy chain as many pedals as you like from each outlet as long as you're using the right voltage, the right connector polarity, and as long as they don't draw more than the maximum current the outlet is rated for (so 500mA or 200mA for the 9v outs on the CS-7. Truetone reckon you can go higher, but it's probably best not to).

Daisy chaining negates the potential benefits of having isolated outputs, but putting a bunch of relatively low current (Looking Glass draws 4mA, doubtful the others draw much more), high quality analogue pedals on a daisy chain will probably be fine. Mixing digital and analogue pedals on a daisy chain is often where the problems come from.

If it were me, I'd put the Ditto X4 on one of the 500mA outputs, run the RV-500 and the El Cap from their own outlets (both need 200mA, so should be fine to run from any 9v outlet), then try daisy chaining the analogue effects (unless you want to run any at 18v, and you know it's safe). If you get any noise that way, split them up, but I suspect you won't, and you'll have plenty of room to expand.

FWIW, the power draw list at Stinkfoot.se is well useful for stuff like this. http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Thank you, guys. Very helpful!
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.