Cyclists what are your December/January contingency plans ?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12366
    edited January 2018
    Yep I commute, out tonight and I reckon it’s going to be pissing down, I work in the hills so it can be like another world up there can be a blizzard and nothing down in town. Layer up, and a waterproof, I find that no matter how cold it is, exertion gets you warmed up although once or twice it’s been so cold that it’s actually been hard to work up a sweat and I’ve got in to work a bit chilled. Ice is a bastard though, I’ve skidded down the road on my arse many times.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    When I used to cycle a lot (I'm an old man now!), I saved several leave days for December and used them for walking or cycling in daylight. Generally there'll be at least a few usable days even at that time of the year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Dress up warm and ride a normal heavy bike. You'll pant a bit and work those regular muscles. All the time not looking like a fashion advert for lycra.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    edited January 2018
    I've got a half iron man (first one) in August - and haven't been on my bike since July (when I did the London Tri)...I'm going to start cycling to work on dry days in the coming weeks as I really need to start getting the miles in my legs. I don't mind the cold as you can layer up, but freezing and wet can fuck right off. Especially as we have no shower facilities at work! 

Can't run at the mo either as I have a poorly foot  

I have a Turbo in the garage which I should really start using! 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31615
    I was given an old turbo trainer a few weeks ago but haven't used it yet due to a stubborn illness, but having tried it briefly it's so boring I think I'd rather freeze my nuts off on the road. 

Tbh, having spent 30-odd winters motorcycling, running and cycling feel great to me at this time of year, better than a roasting July day anyway. 
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    I've commuted on a motorcycle come rain or shine for the last nine years, and cycled through the last three winters for fitness, with no major mishaps. Then the instant I sell my scooter and get a car, I fall off my bike doing interval training (leaves and shite on an off-camber corner, in the dark, first ride with lights so depth perception was a bit iffy). I managed to land really heavily, had a concussion, bruised my ACL and ribs, and three months on my shoulder joint is still giving me gyp.

So I'm running, lately.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    I'm still commuting ~90miles a week on my bike up here in North Yorkshire. I don't mind the cold at all really - couple of layers on top but still in shorts every day (makes me keep the legs moving!!). I've got studded tyres for the icy days which means I can keep going the longer route on the back roads even though they don't get gritted. 
    It feels great to get to work on a winter's day having already got 40min exercise in :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    ESBlonde said:
    Dress up warm and ride a normal heavy bike. You'll pant a bit and work those regular muscles. All the time not looking like a fashion advert for lycra.
    I finally made the switch to lycra bib tights for road riding a year or 2 ago and it made my rides so much better. Warm and comfortable with no bagginess to get in the way or clag up with mud and other shit. Makes you look a knob but so much comfier!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    hibernation
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    joneve said:
    I've got a half iron man (first one) in August - and haven't been on my bike since July (when I did the London Tri)...I'm going to start cycling to work on dry days in the coming weeks as I really need to start getting the miles in my legs. I don't mind the cold as you can layer up, but freezing and wet can fuck right off. Especially as we have no shower facilities at work! 

What bike do you have @joneve ; 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    edited January 2018
    I live in the Highlands and don't tend to go out in the depths of winter these days but I'm in my 60's and my racing days are long behind me.  I have found though that if you can take advantage of the good days in winter it's surprising how many miles you can get in.

In my racing days I never gave it a thought.  When I lived in the Lake District the first club ride of the year was Kendal up to Keswick, over Whinlatter down to Buttermere village back over Newlands to Keswick and back.  About 85 miles regardless of the weather.  We went hostelling in the winter as well.  When we moved to the Highlands we always did 80-90 mile rides on Sunday and of course no cafe stops.  It was rare for the weather to make any difference. 

But you see very few people riding in the winter nowadays, it's the same as no-one riding out to events anymore, they go by car and warm up on the turbo in the car park.  The fact is in days gone by, cycling and the cycling club was a much more important part of people's social lives, and people have just got softer, myself included.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    stay at home?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I don't understand the concept of getting bored on a turbo - I'm always in a world of agonizing pain praying for the end to come no time for boredom :))

I still get out on the clubs chain gang mid week but in truth only because we go for a beer after ;)
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    Intervals on the trainer if I'm training to power, or on the rollers if not (find the rollers far more enjoyable than the turbo...) I race in the track league at derby velodrome and our racing season's started so it's pretty much turbo training when I'm not racing for the next 4 months....
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    sev112 said:
    joneve said:

What bike do you have @joneve ; 
    Currently a B'Twin Alur 700 with 105 groupset. Better wheels would be nice, but I love it. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I’m firmly in the nope camp haha. 

Im south, but still havent been out riding since november.. and I wont until it warms slightly. 

Its more the faff about getting to the shed and working the bike out to the front. By then I’m frozen as fuck and in no mood. 

But, I cycle for enjoyment and the exercise it brings on my days off. 
    (I get 2 weekdays but theyre not next to each other, so freezing and or wet isnt how I like to start those days!)

Rest of the time I plan to hit the gym.

Man, my hands and face arent so bad, but my feet are notoriously cold 6 out of 12 months! Even indoors in bed. 

But, while I’m here, my hollowtech 2 BB doesnt allow any fitment of chain guards. (Laugh at me now). 

So what do you guys wear when cycling to avoid getting trouser legs caught in the crank spikes? I’ve almost been pulled off several times in the past by it so it worries me. 
    I currently use my stretchy skinny jeans and a fairly wide ankle strap which works, and in the summer I’d just wear mtb style shorts. But jeans and cycling can get uncomfy.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    skunkwerx said:

So what do you guys wear when cycling to avoid getting trouser legs caught in the crank spikes? I’ve almost been pulled off several times in the past by it so it worries me. 

Something like this:
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-hi-vis-cycling-trouser-strap-id_8329778.html

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Commuted to work for about 35 years, wouldn't dream of using the car. I'll bike in any weather, wind and rain, but not when it's icy. Used to do a bit of time trialling in my teens.  
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12366
    crunchman said:
    skunkwerx said:

Something like this:

Shorts all year round for me but then I am a hard as nails Northerner.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited January 2018
    crunchman said:
    skunkwerx said:

Something like this:

Shorts all year round for me but then I am a hard as nails Northerner.
    Me too. If I get cold I just pedal harder. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom