Alternative to a tuneomatic?

Might be an odd question but I genuinely don’t know the answer, generally being a ‘Fender’ man and all. 

Does something exist to replace a tuneomatic that isn’t a tuneomatic or derivative (like roller bridges etc). Something like the Mastery or the weird bridge some customs shop Jazzmasters have, kind of like a wraparound but without the wrapping bit. Basically, no moving parts. Is this a thing?? 

Reason I ask is I’m currently struggling with he bridge on my Yamaha SA503TVL (which has a weird TOM-alike itself) as it’s quite plinky and rattle-y as it is. I’ve thought about a better quality bridge like a Gotoh and have tried one of those Wilkinson-style roller bridges but it just gave the guitar weird sitar-like overtones (though the Bigsby worked much better!!)

Any thoughts? Am I barking up an non-existent tree??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Im going to get the goldo tunomatic roller bridge from thomann soon as I hear its a good option. Fitting to my gretsch electromatic  with bigsby. You can also get solid compensated  bridges like the compton or tru arc which provide greater sustain and stability  but can be an issue with intonation if you have a pinned bridge or fixed bridge posts. Im sure other will chime in more soon
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27614
    It could just be that you just need a better quality tunomatic. They’re not all created equal. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2018
    They aren't, but if @kreggs really wants a Bigsby I think a roller bridge suits the device better then anything else.

EDIT: Strat-type vibratos work by wobbling the bridge. The Bigsby pulls the strings tighter or relaxes the tension hence the strings have to move across the bridge saddle. That's why I think a roller would be superior.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    The duesenberg variation is pretty damn good.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    The duesenberg variation is pretty damn good.
    I'm keen to try a duesenberg trem, not sure on what yet, quite fancy something different on a jazzmaster style
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited January 2018
    try one with there bigsby style trem on it - they feel really smooth

the TOM bridge does just look like any other, with a few subtle differences like the radiused top - but its very well made

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3308
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    try one with there bigsby style trem on it - they feel really smooth

the TOM bridge does just look like any other, with a few subtle differences like the radiused top - but its very well made

I've never even looked at these before, looks really nice too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I'm quite intrigued by the Babicz one as an alternative. It's not cheap though. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/babicz_fch_tune_o_matic_bridge_c.htm#bewertung

Being able to set the string height individually is what appeals most I think. I like that on Fenders. It's perhaps less suitable for a traditional design. 

edited January 2018
    the price and aesthetics have put me off that one

also, it comes with shims to match the carve - full contact is quite difficult to achieve on a carved top

Edit - i just watched the installation video and i am really surprised they make such a big deal of "full contact" but don't do anything about the tailpiece???