Les Paul nut width

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
After buying probably around 8-10 les pauls over the years i still haven't found one i can get comfortable with.
Ive had everything from studios, loads of standards and a couple of custom shop jobs.
Question is, does Gibson do a Les Paul with a vintage fender nut width? around the 42mm mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    The only one I played like that was a 67 ( I think ) sg junior

I couldn't get on with the neck just too thin and narrow

I thought fender were wider than 42mm, I'll be looking at a few vintage ones in the next few months, I'll take some measurements 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    @customkits ; i have a couple of vintage spec'd strats and the nut width is just under 42mm, which is perfect for me, every LP feels much to wide.
    Dont mind a chunky neck but there's something about a vintage width nut i get on with.

tFB Trader
    adampeter said:
    @customkits ; i have a couple of vintage spec'd strats and the nut width is just under 42mm, which is perfect for me, every LP feels much to wide.
    Dont mind a chunky neck but there's something about a vintage width nut i get on with.

I played a 52 tele and 62 strat and the neck was the first thing I noticed as they're the first fender necks I really liked because they felt really similar to some vintage Gibson's I've played, just slightly slimmer

It'll be interesting when i measure properly, I'll be looking at the 52 again plus a 57 and 74 tele, mostly for feel and ageing for a couple of planned builds
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    adampeter said:
    After buying probably around 8-10 les pauls over the years i still haven't found one i can get comfortable with.
    Ive had everything from studios, loads of standards and a couple of custom shop jobs.
    Question is, does Gibson do a Les Paul with a vintage fender nut width? around the 42mm mark
    i think youd have to get something custom made
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    edited January 2018
    Surely the difference between the nut width on a Les Paul and a Strat is negligible? Fretboard radius, binding, fret size and the amount of shoulder will all contribute to the different feel.

My main electric is a Strat with a chunky neck. My Gibson is wider at the nut - but shallower in depth. By the octave, the Gibson neck is a fair bit chunkier than the Strat. I can easily swap between them, even though they feel quite different. I still prefer the feel of the Strat - but after a couple of minutes on the 335 I forget this and just get on with playing it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Surely the difference between the nut width on a Les Paul and a Strat is negligible? Fretboard radius, binding, fret size and the amount of shoulder will all contribute to the different feel.

My main electric is a Strat with a chunky neck. My Gibson is wider at the nut - but shallower in depth. By the octave, the Gibson neck is a fair bit chunkier than the Strat. I can easily swap between them, even though they feel quite different. I still prefer the feel of the Strat - but after a couple of minutes on the 335 I forget this and just get on with playing it.  
    They do feel very different to me, it also depends what you play the most and most comfortable with
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11642
    tFB Trader
    Gibsons are 1 11/16" (42.8mm) while Fender are narrower at 1 5/8" ( 41.3mm)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2018
    It is interesting  (well....interesting for us...) that the Les Paul didn't get the narrow nut in 1968 and 1969.....

In 1965 of all these Gibson guitars were switched over to the narrow nut (during that year). 335, 330, 345,355, Trini,  Sg, Melody Maker, Firebird, Jazz Boxes, Acoustics......
    Maybe it was all Gibson models.

But not the Les Pauls?

A couple of older LPF threads here musing about why Gibson did it.....and the influence of the Beatles......and Rickenbacker,  at that moment.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?153640-Switch-to-narrower-nut-width-in-1965-some-facts

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?158567-My-survey-regarding-1965-nut-widths  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72686
    Les Pauls were not made in 1965, or any year between 1961 and 1968, so they missed the change to narrow necks. When Gibson reissued them in '68, they had the sense to use the original dimensions.

I don't know why they did it, but nut widths and neck sizes seem to go in fashion cycles - right now it's 'fat' necks... everyone seems to want a neck with a 'nice fat 50s-style neck' - the sort of size that was seen as clumsy and undesirable in the 1960s and 70s, to the point that players like Jimmy Page had their 50s Les Pauls shaved down, which would be seen as sacrilege now. In the late 80s and early 90s it was wide, thin necks with huge frets, late 90s was 'boat' necks...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    It amazes me the difference 1mm can make on a nut.