Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands who just ran out of ideas and at what stage in their careers ?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I don't know about running out of ideas, but I can think of examples where a band went too mainstream instead of progressing their original concept.  

When the first Roxy Music LP came out in 1972 it was almost literally breathtaking.  I remember it being played almost constantly in the 6th form common room. They followed it up with For Your Pleasure which was even better, I can remember vividly hearing the the opening track "There's a new sensation..."  what compares to that today I don't know.  And what an album cover too.

Then Eno left and it was downhill from then on IMHO.  And they wanted to break into the US market and to do that involved a more "conventional", dare I say less British, approach.  

I always think to be really different a band needs a non-musician in the mix, Roxy had two.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    EricTheWeary said:
    Vivian Campbell never seems to have fulfilled his early promise. No doubt he cries himself to sleep every night over this on top of his mattress stuffed with the money Def Leppard gave him. 
    He could have done more, I'm sure, but I really like the first Riverdogs album (the new one sounds OK too) and I absolutely love the one and only Shadow King album with Lou Gramm.  OK, it's AOR/melodic hard rock rather than metal, but it's got some balls and every single song is a killer.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Philly_Q said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    Vivian Campbell never seems to have fulfilled his early promise. No doubt he cries himself to sleep every night over this on top of his mattress stuffed with the money Def Leppard gave him. 
    He could have done more, I'm sure, but I really like the first Riverdogs album (the new one sounds OK too) and I absolutely love the one and only Shadow King album with Lou Gramm.  OK, it's AOR/melodic hard rock rather than metal, but it's got some balls and every single song is a killer.
    I'll stick then them on my decorating listening list! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Neill said:
    I don't know about running out of ideas, but I can think of examples where a band went too mainstream instead of progressing their original concept.
    The classic example is Spandau Ballet after their first album.

Neill said:

When the first Roxy Music LP came out in 1972 it was almost literally breathtaking.  I remember it being played almost constantly in the 6th form common room. They followed it up with For Your Pleasure which was even better, I can remember vividly hearing the the opening track "There's a new sensation..."  what compares to that today I don't know.  And what an album cover too.

Then Eno left and it was downhill from then on IMHO.  And they wanted to break into the US market and to do that involved a more "conventional", dare I say less British, approach.  

I always think to be really different a band needs a non-musician in the mix, Roxy had two.
    I think they got different rather than worse. You wouldn't even recognise the band that made Flesh + Blood and Avalon as the same one which did the first two albums, apart from Ferry's voice - but they're both masterpieces too. It may be different for me though, because I discovered them at the time of Avalon and then worked backwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Lindisfarne. Nicely Out Of Tune and Fog On The Tyne were excellent. Dingly Dell was a bit disappointing. Then came Back and Fourth. Oh dear what a disaster. The only good songs on it were "produced" by Lindisfarne and the rest were "produced" by a "producer" who put string sections behind the band. I ask you! A string section behind a raw & raucous folk/rock band, FFS what was he thinking of?? Marshal Riley's Army was the high point of that album and it's probably the only one that makes any sense to anyone who liked the firts wto albums
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    munckee said:
    Oasis. Ran out of ideas around 1990.
    Not a fan then, first album was brilliant, second good, third meh.

I'd say REM half way through Monster.  RHCP half way through Stadium Arcadium.  Foo fighters after colour and the shape.  Pixies after Bossa Nova.

I really like a lot of Clapton solo stuff, some is a mixed bag but that's most artists.
    I was just joshing. But I mean, there was a formula and they stuck to it, adding some faux-beatles stylings along the way.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7036
    Led Zeppelin after Physical Graffiti, and RHCP after One Hot Minute.
  • Cols said:
    Led Zeppelin halfway through Physical Graffiti, and RHCP after One Hot Minute.
    FTFY
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372
    edited January 2018
    queensryche- after empire it went to shite. loads of reasons which you'll all know.
  • would you say the short spell where all the hard rock bands went acoustic was a wile coyote going over a cliff with resulting fwumph moment ? i think it just plainly didnt work. Yngwie murdering classical music with an orchestra was another.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    ICBM said:
    I think they got different rather than worse. You wouldn't even recognise the band that made Flesh + Blood and Avalon as the same one which did the first two albums, apart from Ferry's voice - but they're both masterpieces too. It may be different for me though, because I discovered them at the time of Avalon and then worked backwards.
    I agree with you - late period Roxy Music albums are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. ‘More Than This’ and ‘Oh Yeah’ are pure class....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
    edited January 2018
    Stereophonics after Performance and Cocktails 
    ICBM said:
    Neill said:
    The classic example is Spandau Ballet after their first album.

Neill said:

Agreed - I don't think Ferry ran out of ideas but I bet there are an awful lot of ex Roxy Music fans like me who wished Brian Eno had stuck with them and they had progressed in the same vein. 

OTOH my wife is a lifelong fan, she met Bryan Ferry when she was working in a posh hotel, just after he had teamed up with Jerry Hall.  According to Mrs Neill Ferry was a really nice down to earth bloke, what she said about Jerry Hall I wouldn't repeat. 
    Lindisfarne. Nicely Out Of Tune and Fog On The Tyne were excellent. Dingly Dell was a bit disappointing. Then came Back and Fourth. Oh dear what a disaster. The only good songs on it were "produced" by Lindisfarne and the rest were "produced" by a "producer" who put string sections behind the band. I ask you! A string section behind a raw & raucous folk/rock band, FFS what was he thinking of?? Marshal Riley's Army was the high point of that album and it's probably the only one that makes any sense to anyone who liked the firts wto albums
    I agree with that but TBH I think if there was ever a classic example of a two album band it was Lindisfarne.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Surprised Foo Fighters haven't been mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I do like the Foo Fighters overall but if U2 are guilty of creating pretty much the same album for the last 15 years then so are the Foos
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987
    would you say the short spell where all the hard rock bands went acoustic was a wile coyote going over a cliff with resulting fwumph moment ? i think it just plainly didnt work. Yngwie murdering classical music with an orchestra was another.

I don't really remember the acoustic stuff, except Alice In Chains' Jar of Flies and Sap (which were brilliant) and the Scorpions' Acoustica (which wasn't really).  Oh, and Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam, which was pretty good.

I do remember that post-Nirvana period when bands like Trixter, Firehouse and Lillian Axe were rushing out to buy flannel shirts and replacing their day-glo Superstrats with Les Pauls and Jazzmasters...

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    For me, Dylan’s last decent album was Time Of Mind which was 97. His voice now sounds like someone doing a bad Dylan impression and all these covers of old standards stuff is just dull imo.
    Neil Young went a bit crap in the 80s and then picked up in the 90s and seems to be a bit crap again for the last decade or so.
    Deep Purple mk2 and mk3 were great, but anything after Stormbringer just sounds like every other hard rock band. Not dissing Morse as a player, I just don’t think the material or spark is there.
    And Whitesnake... great blues rock band and then that 1987 change of image American junk. Which Mr Coverdale is still peddling to this day. Enough already, period... as they say Stateside.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Oh yeah - and any Rod Stewart post 1975.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Madness.

First three albums were ace, if you like that kind of thing.

It all went mainstream with Our House/4th album, and they became too refined as they lost that “nutty nutty sound”.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6141
    Kasabian and Cold Play, literally after the first song.. :smirk: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"