Fender 60th Anniversary Jazzmasters

What's Hot
Not sure if this has been posted before but I've just found this;
https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2018-fender-60th-anniversary-jazzmasters-leaked-uk-dealer/
Nice colours but I'm not keen on matching headstocks. The toaster pickup version is interesting.
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8809
    That toaster model is indeed worth a second look...

Fender are pouring out some great looking new stuff. Long may it continue!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • The sunburst is the only one that looks  vaguely like a 58 so you could say that's really the 60th anniv model. The blocks and binding ones look great - must be MIM at that price. I wonder what pickups on those?  The 'toaster' one is mad, but I like it. 
  • From the photos trem placement on the B&B ones looks correct, so not just updated Classic Players. Very nice!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    JerkMoans said:
    That toaster model is indeed worth a second look...

Fender are pouring out some great looking new stuff. Long may it continue!
    I've never looked at a JM before but that daphne blue, 3 pickup 'Toaster' model has got me.
    The awful pickguard needs to be white but that's all, it's stunning.

It's not going to happen but it if it could, it would today.
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    edited January 2018
    I love Jazzmasters (and matching headstocks) but there's something off about most of those for me. The light fretboard with blocks maybe. Not sure.

I adore the sunburst though, and I usually hate that as a finish, so something for everyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Light fretboards and block inlays. No.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339
    I'm guessing Pau Ferro? If the pickups in the MIM versions are just normal pickups then the pricetag is far too high. Hopefully they are some sort of USA pickup (but not the Pro range strat-like ones!).
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/fender-limited-edition-60th-anniversary-classic-jazzmaster-daphne-blue

These are nitro finish, and word is they will replace the current classic 60's Jazzmaster (the surf green one).  Main difference seems to be a more modern 9.5 radius neck, "Classic 60's" pickups (whatever those are), and a tweed case.  It is Pau Ferro, which is causing a bit of a stink on the offset forums.

Nitro matching headstock Jazzmaster in custom colours for a grand I think is good, MIM or not.  Just that fretboard colour...
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2339
    Gerz6558 said:
    https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/fender-limited-edition-60th-anniversary-classic-jazzmaster-daphne-blue

These are nitro finish, and word is they will replace the current classic 60's Jazzmaster (the surf green one).  Main difference seems to be a more modern 9.5 radius neck, "Classic 60's" pickups (whatever those are), and a tweed case.  It is Pau Ferro, which is causing a bit of a stink on the offset forums.

Nitro matching headstock Jazzmaster in custom colours for a grand I think is good, MIM or not.  Just that fretboard colour...

Yeah nitro with a matching headstock is nice but I'm wary as they aren't pushing the pickups at all...which would suggest they aren't that exciting. Could be wrong.
    edited January 2018

Yeah nitro with a matching headstock is nice but I'm wary as they aren't pushing the pickups at all...which would suggest they aren't that exciting. Could be wrong.
    I know what you mean, i'm conflicted about these, more about the fretboard for me though.  Was adamant I was buying one yesterday, before that I was adamant about the ocean turquoise American Original.  £600 price gap, and on on the face of it there's not much difference between the two.

The pickups could be anything, rebranded old stock of 62 AVRI pickups perhaps?  If you've seen the specs of the American Original Jaguar, they have AVRI 62 pickups, whereas the Jazzmasters have the 65 pickups.  Must still have old stock of those 62 pickups lurking in warehouses somewhere.

• £1800.

No.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Exactly, a big fat no 
  • Really don’t like the look of the Pau Ferro boards (isn’t that Jose Mourinhos assistant?) especially with the blocks... but otherwise these look great. Not a million miles away from a TVL I guess, hence the comparable price. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLzjzsmlW6A

Just after the 16 minute mark, you can see one of the MIM efforts with the Pau Ferro board   Better to mute it, these two are consistently useless when it comes to offsets.
  • I don’t mind the blocks but surely there’s a more rosewood-like fretboard wood than pau ferro? 

I might well be looking for an offset soon but unless these £1k MIM Jazzmasters are staggeringly good (and they might be!) I’ll be looking for an end-of-line or used AV65. Or building my own...
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    What's going on at Fender?

First the excellent American Standard series is replaced by the arguably worse, certainly no better* 'Professional' series.
    A laughable 'Parallel Universe' series is released.
    The American Vintage series is replaced by the the 'Original' series (eg you now get a choice of only 2 Telecasters, one '50s' butterscotch and one '60s' bound Tele. Neither of which appeal. I'd prefer a mid to late 50s, no butterscotch, no binding). Only the JM looks good in this series.
    60th Anniversary Jazzmasters that imo, don't look worthy of an anniversary.

*like, that's just, my opinion man.
    edited January 2018
    I don’t mind the blocks but surely there’s a more rosewood-like fretboard wood than pau ferro? 

I might well be looking for an offset soon but unless these £1k MIM Jazzmasters are staggeringly good (and they might be!) I’ll be looking for an end-of-line or used AV65. Or building my own...
    I must admit dropping £1k on MIM doesn't sit great with me, but that seems to be the era we are now in.  All the big brands outsourcing and creating a guitar at every price point, has pushed the top of the line models out of a lot of peoples reach.

But then again my MIM Baja Telecaster pretty much annihilates my more expensive "USA/real deal/genuine/blah blah" guitars.  That £600 increase to get an American Original seems difficult to justify, both nitro, both 9.5 radius, American Original no longer has the obsessive touches like the American Vintage line.  Just that damn Pau Ferro, maybe Fender are using that to push people on to spend the extra on the American Original.
    There is a solution to that light fretboard, posted by somebody else:  http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/Colors_and_Tints_and_Stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

Don't see why I should have to do this on a £1K guitar though, if Fender cannot be bothered.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    Gerz6558 said:

I know what you mean, i'm conflicted about these, more about the fretboard for me though.  Was adamant I was buying one yesterday, before that I was adamant about the ocean turquoise American Original.  £600 price gap, and on on the face of it there's not much difference between the two.

The pickups could be anything, rebranded old stock of 62 AVRI pickups perhaps?  If you've seen the specs of the American Original Jaguar, they have AVRI 62 pickups, whereas the Jazzmasters have the 65 pickups.  Must still have old stock of those 62 pickups lurking in warehouses somewhere.

I'm sure if they were AVRI pickups they'd be calling them AVRI pickups and making them sound like a bonus. My guess is they're like typical Classic Series pickups - cheaper than AVRI pickups but similar construction and materials and aiming for a similar sound. The Strat/Tele equivalents I've had have been pretty good.
    I'm sure if they were AVRI pickups they'd be calling them AVRI pickups and making them sound like a bonus. My guess is they're like typical Classic Series pickups - cheaper than AVRI pickups but similar construction and materials and aiming for a similar sound. The Strat/Tele equivalents I've had have been pretty good.
    That would be a disappointment for me.  The outgoing classic Jazzmaster's strength was that it was effectively a MIM AVRI reissue with no real need to change anything, unlike my Japanese Jazzmaster.  Nitro, Rosewood, 65 reissue pickups.  Was hoping they'd stick to the same formula but just add those great custom colours.