Tele Wiring Issue

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30973
So, my tele pick up selector isn't working properly in the middle position-- basically on neck or middle it gives neck only, so no bridge when in the middle position.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong from this pic?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    Looks like it isn't wired right, but the pic is too low-resolution to see clearly. There appear to be two unconnected terminals on the left side of the switch when there should only be one, and the right side is wired wrong.

It should look like this -

https://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/images/content/2103_08/Blogs/Sep13_PG_CLM_ModGarage_image_WEB.jpg

Is this the one with the routed-out control cavity? The wiring has definitely been buggered around with, anyway - the tone pot also appears to be wired very strangely, the right-hand terminal seems to be grounded which is wrong. The volume pot has been replaced as well but I assume you knew that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You will keep buying old shit.. ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    Gassage said:
    So, my tele pick up selector isn't working properly in the middle position-- basically on neck or middle it gives neck only, so no bridge when in the middle position.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong from this pic?

If your Telecaster is at least fifty years old and, for the most part, original, the bridge/neck/neck selections would be historically correct. In that case, the only thing "wrong" with the wiring is that somebody had removed the second capacitor that creates the muffled "bass" tone when the switch lever leans towards the neck.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30973
    All fixed - thanks!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.