Budda Superdrive 30

What's Hot
llewllew Frets: 78
I'm hoping to get some advice on this amp. Iv used single channel amps for year's (Dr z maz mostly) set to breakup then use guitars volume knob to clean up using strats and teles. But a new band playing mostly  80's rock with some more modern stuff requires humbuckers and a lot more drive. I love that hot rodded Marshall sound so am happy with the lead channel but was wondering if I set the rhythm channel to crunch will it clean up to any great extent with the guitars volume knob? Any other amp suggestions greatly received.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I use the SD18 and it’ll do that no problem, I use the lead channel with gain about half way and it’s super responsive to my humbucker loaded PRS. The design only really lends itself to being used as a single channel amp. The modern mode is slightly less responsive but still very good. Oh, they are very loud too! 
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Good to hear,do you use a boost pedal for lead too?
    Yeah, boss sd-1 is my favourite for that job, sucks in the bass a bit and adds that rich harmonic sustain
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I used a SD18 to gig with for a short period and it will clean up nicely on the rhythm channel with the guitar volume pot but there will be a massive difference in levels if you switch channels with the rhythm channel cranked.

I believe there is a simple mod you can do to balance the channels.

http://buddaampforum.forumakers.com/t60-anyone-have-the-jeff-mod-for-volume-balance 
    Thanks both
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1613
    How does this amp get on as a bluesy type of amp? I know Jobo used one many moons ago.
    shaunm said:
    How does this amp get on as a bluesy type of amp? I know Jobo used one many moons ago.
    Not really a style I play, but it covers medium to high gain pretty well.
    I’m wondering if the clean (er) channel can be manipulated by the volume control on the guitar. Sort of like a JCm800?
    shaunm said:
    I’m wondering if the clean (er) channel can be manipulated by the volume control on the guitar. Sort of like a JCm800?
    The cleaner channel doesn’t have much gain, it’s more unboosted plexi rather than jcm800. You can do the 800 thing on the drive channel no problem though, with the gain half way it’s very responsive to playing dynamics 
    Thanks, that’s good info. I am more plexi than 800 in truth. I don’t need bags of gain.
    It sounds Ideal.
    Also looking at the Marshall jvm but worried about their reliability?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2018
    Get the JVM Joe Satch...just as long as you're OK carrying it.  Very clever pedal design too.  The onboard noise gates are really useful. Mint ones around for £700 max.  @ICBM will vouch for their reliability, especially the JS model.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited January 2018
    llew said:
    Also looking at the Marshall jvm but worried about their reliability?
    I think the JVM's are reasonably reliable but are more "modern" sounding than the Budda to my ears. The Budda is more vintage Marshall like with a bit more gain. Not surprising as the preamp waa designed by Dave Friedman in the Superdrive ii.
    Cheers all.

JVM and SuperDrive are very different amps. I have a friend who tours with a JVM 210 and it’s phenomenal for heavy Marshall tones, very fast attack and shedloads of gain, he’s not even a great player but he consistently gets some of the best heavy live tones I’ve ever heard. The channel switching is total shit though.

The Budda is a lot different, it sags like a JTM style amp, compresses in a completely different way to a modern Marshall. It’s got plenty of gain available, but the low end gets much looser as you bring the gain up. 
    Had a good deal on a peavey 6505 so will have to have a look at the budda when my back has had a guts full of dragging a 4x12 around again. Thanks for all the advice,much appreciated. 
    llew said:
    Had a good deal on a peavey 6505 so will have to have a look at the budda when my back has had a guts full of dragging a 4x12 around again. Thanks for all the advice,much appreciated. 
    6505/5150 is hard to beat for metal and hard rock, always a solid choice! 
    I used to have one year's ago and it'll be spot on I think.