Just broke my G Force Tuners - replacements and advice please!

What's Hot
I remember saying in my NGD post nearly 3 years ago (2015 Les Paul Standard) that I wasn't 100% convinced with the G Force system, well now I'm pretty much 0% convinced.

I don't play the Lester all that often (far easier to reach for a Strat than uncase the LP) so after an afternoon noodling I decided to change the strings - only the second time in fact.

First off, I unwind the low E (with help from Youtube of course) and take the string off. All going well, I get the new string in place faff around with the wrap and screw top, then begin to upwind - only to find a flat battery - arse!

Never mind, I can always use the machine-heads manually, as per Gibson instructions. Only, well, you can't because mine seems to have broken free of the gearing mechanism inside. I'd almost managed to tune it to pitch, then it just started turning much more freely, obviously now devoid of it's responsibility to turn the gears.

At this point this blood drains from my face as I realise I've probably broken the damn thing. Calmness quickly resumes as I realise I'll just swap out the G Force for something classic and cool - as many suggest it should have been in the first place.

Anyway, I keep going whilst the battery charges in the vain hope that somehow all will be well, I string up all 5 remaining strings loosely and grab the battery, with a mighty 10 mins of charge. I choose the A string and it works perfectly, strings up, detects the tension and tunes to pitch - phenomenal, it automatically switches to the D and so on - perfect. Then it realises that the low E is slack, and tunes that as well!!!

So, it seems like to gearing is intact, it's just the physical pseudo top hat that is effectively useless.

Lessons learned folks - according to Gibson you can manually tune, but I wouldn't try it :)

Now, any suggestions for the best replacement..?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    A set of Grovers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    One thing to note about the G Force system is that it doesn't use any screws, so you will have to drill the back of the headstock for mounting screws.

As for replacements it depends whether you want a grover style tuner or a Kluson style tuner?
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

I got these for my midtown

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibson-Gear-PMMH-015-Electric-Machine/dp/B0002D0K3W

The G force comes off really easily and doesn't leave any holes like tuning pegs.  I installed these in about 20 mins and they are solid, feel good and tuning stability was improved quite a bit.

• I got these for my midtown

The G force comes off really easily and doesn't leave any holes like tuning pegs.  I installed these in about 20 mins and they are solid, feel good and tuning stability was improved quite a bit.

Thanks for the link - I'm liking ALL of those a lot :)

Wonder if they're all direct replacements?

How did you get the right alignment by the way, is it a bit of guess work..?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Kuroblack said:

Yes, just like Gibson do - only you should be able to get them on straight :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Mmmm....I have set of gold Grovers....wondering if I want to sell them. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7049
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Can't you just glue the button back on with a drop of super glue?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Manually tuning them is a very tiring process! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31631
    edited January 2018
    I bunged Grovers on mine instead of Klusons, makes it much harder for my crazy tambourine-wielding singer to bust the stoopid plastic buttons during our dance/mock fight routine...

http://i66.tinypic.com/308a61h.jpg ;

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723
    Kuroblack said:

I got these for my midtown

Thanks for the link - I'm liking ALL of those a lot :)

Wonder if they're all direct replacements?

I just tightened them up with the nuts first, made sure they looked right. Then checked the gaps between them with a ruler.  Once I was happy, drilled a small pilot hole through the srew hole on each one then put the screws in.  

They should be direct replacements.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't you just glue the button back on with a drop of super glue?
    It's still attached, it just rotates without actually engaging the gearing inside :) There's resistance, but not very much

Tried the system a few more times this morning and it tunes just as well as it always has - I may leave it for now, although decision firmly made to swap out eventually.

If I ever manage to get my Strat to you for a Setup (I'm 25mins up the M61) I'll bring it along for curiosity's sake!