BKP at NAMM

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I like Mules, but all of the higher outputs have left me a little unimpressed, thought I've yet to try the Painkiller - I hear very good reprorts about that.

But like many here I've not ordered any BKP's since I started using Oil city's - Ash makes one hell of a pickup - I much prefer his higher output ones too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Other factors can affect the sound, though, pickups are just part of it, no..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Strat54 said:
    Oil City pickups certainly seem inexpensive, but then again he's winding pickups from home so that certainly helps keep costs down. Not sure I'd buy from them, I mean a pickup website without a single video or sound sample...what?? You certainly don't hear much about them away from this forum, which is of no surprise with so little in the way of marketing or even myth.

You can put the same pair of pickups in two different guitars and guess what?  They’ll sound different.  

Personally i think pickup demos are a waste of time unless they’re using your guitar and an amp you’re familiar with what’s the point? I’d rather talk to the builder tell them what I have, what I want to achieve and get some advice than trawl though a load of demos which don’t tell me anything anyway.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11643
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Oil City pickups certainly seem inexpensive, but then again he's winding pickups from home so that certainly helps keep costs down. Not sure I'd buy from them, I mean a pickup website without a single video or sound sample...what?? You certainly don't hear much about them away from this forum, which is of no surprise with so little in the way of marketing or even myth.

I was one of the earliest Bare Knuckle dealers - back in 2004
    I have been with them all through the growth years from when Tim was winding at home.
    His product is great and we still stock them and sell and use them in our builds.

However other small makers also get their act together nicely 
    Through our customers bringing them in we have been able to hear many of these other brands for ourselves 
    The Creamery , Mojo and Oil City  all bringing some killer product to the table.

Now we struck up a rapport with Ash at Oil City and worked with him to develop some new pickups which became part of the Masterwound Range (briefly called ASL till Ash realised it made more sense to maintain the OCP name on them)
    Many of these were done to fill gaps in the stuff we carried on the shelf and saw a need for, and we came up with a few of the model names too.
    We stock these with great delight and no hesitation in suggesting them when they will be right for the the needs of the customer sound-wise.
    We hare not bound by any brand loyalty as we have some amazing stuff on our shelves including BKP, Oil City, Monty's Pickups and TV Jones, so we are always going to simply suggest the ones that in experience will  deliver the sound closest to the customer's wishes.

Bare Knuckle's growth has allowed them to have their own parts made through a matter of scale and investment  which is really nice . Hopefully as other firms grow they can invest in similar ways.

I am looking forward to seeing what the Bootcamp models will bring to the table and will judge them by sounds alone.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7378
    Strat54 said:

I get what you mean, but I wouldn't want to put up sound clips if it was my business; simply because the customer isn't going to have the same gear.

I've got the BKP Mules in a Les Paul. They're alright, but they don't sound like the clips on the website. What if I'd complained about it? That's time spent troubleshooting with the customer, and at the end of it they might start asking to return them. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7378
    edited January 2018
    Also, now I've seen the price of the pickups I'd buy I don't really understand this range.

Looking at Peach the humbuckers are £89 whereas a Nailbomb is £95.
    I thought that these would be aimed at players who can't afford the boutique price, but if you've managed to save up £89 another £6 is nothing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2416
    Looking at Tele pickups (which I do a lot!) the Bare Knuckles are still pretty inexpensive compared to the likes of Lollar. The BKP's come in at £80 less for a set. Then there's a huge price step up to the likes of boutique producers Theo Dahlem and Ron Ellis who are circa £350 for a set....the latter changing hands on the speculators market at around £500 for a set due to the 2 year wait list. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It's kind of weird that outside of this forum I'd never heard of Oil City Pickups but on here a lot of people rave about them.

Think I might try them out in the near future as I'm considering a set of humbucker sized P90s and Oil City have a few models.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    Strat54 said:

I kind of get what you mean, but I had a small involvement at the prototype stages of one of his pickups, and he did use a soundclip I sent him as a demo on the website for a couple of years, but as a lone sample of a single pickup through unknown gear it was actually pretty meaningless. 

I guess the only thing that matters is that if he's busier than he needs to be through word of mouth alone then there is little point in the hassle and expense of further promotion.  

All I would add is that although you have no reason whatsoever to take my word for it, as a working guitarist for nearly 40 years who's also an obsessive modifier I found Ash at Oil City to be extremely knowledgeable, interesting and on my wavelength when discussing exactly what I wanted. 
  • Strat54 said:

I've never found audio clips to be of any use whatsoever when choosing pickups, because very few people have the same rig as me or play the way I do.

With that in mind, having somebody whose ears you trust to talk you through the way certain pickups react to your playing is absolutely invaluable - and Ash @ Oil City has built a reputation on here for being able to accurately do just that for many people. That's why he sells a lot of pickups to folk on here.
    <space for hire>
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23204
    Strat54 said:

I've never found audio clips to be of any use whatsoever when choosing pickups, because very few people have the same rig as me or play the way I do.
    I agree, audio clips are of no use to me because nobody plays as badly as me or sounds as bad as I do.

But seriously (not that that wasn't serious), I think the only way to get an idea of which pickups will work for you is to try them, as many as you can.  Once you get familiar with a few pickups from a manufacturer's range - for me it would be BKP, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan - then you can look at the descriptions of their other models, using the ones you already know as reference points, and make informed decisions - or at least educated guesses - about which you might like.

I'm sure common models like the Duncan JB or 59, or DM Super Distortion are also useful reference points for discussion if you go to one of the smaller UK builders.
  • Tim explains the concept behind the range in this video:

To me, it sounds like a well thought out idea. I'm by no means a pickup fanatic, i couldn't tell you what voltage or magnet types my guitars have, they just sound good to me. I guess these are aimed at those types of player who get a case of option paralysis when browing for a new set. The choosing is pretty much doen for you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Tbf, that video really explains it all. Fair play to Tim.
    Seems like a great guy, the video just made me even more excited about receiving my "full fat" Bare Knuckles in the post whenever they're going to arrive!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    Seems like a great guy, the video just made me even more excited about receiving my "full fat" Bare Knuckles in the post whenever they're going to arrive!
    What did you go for? 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I all honesty has no-one seen this and thought, Seymour Duncan custom range. 3 humbuckers 1 ceramic, 1 A5 and 1 A2, but anyway, I have tried BKP and thought they sounded preety good, as good as my SD stuff, yeah but not for the price. I know one thing I do love my oilcity I have in my SG, but I might pick one of these BKP up when people decide to sell on after trying for 5 minutes and it not being the sound they want. Guitarists we are very fickle with equipment haha. 
    ThorpyFX said:
    thegummy said:
    What did you go for? 
    Mule with aged nickel covers :D (for a les Paul)