Les Paul studio - buy to mod/ refinish?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
Looking for inspiration and a second opinion- I’ve just been offered a studio at a good price but I’d be more interested in modding it if I bought it.  

I have a standard, axcess and custom already so I’d only be interested in doing something a bit different.  

Maybe a Zemaitis style plate on the front - any interesting refinish ideas or should I just leave it?     
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Studios are great LPs for modding. There’s a whole host of detail you can add or even subtract. 

My natural answer would be give it a new nitro finish. Something interesting and not run of the mill. New pickups as well... 

That’s just me of course 
  • At the right price of course!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    At the right price of course!
    Cheap and cheerful - has a repaired neck break and plenty of dents so it’s a do it upper.  

I was was thinking something inspired by the Trussart and Zemaitis although a thinner body might suit that better. 
    There will probably be someone local that can help with metal plate engraving. 

• mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    John_P said:
    At the right price of course!
    Cheap and cheerful - has a repaired neck break and plenty of dents so it’s a do it upper.  

I was was thinking something inspired by the Trussart and Zemaitis although a thinner body might suit that better. 
    There will probably be someone local that can help with metal plate engraving. 

If you decide to go ahead with the Trussart/Zemaitis aesthetic and struggle with a local engraver then Custom CoolEtch may be of use. I've not used them yet but it does look interesting.

http://customcooletch.co.uk/

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31696
    Maybe do a Zemaitis type design burnt directly into the maple with a soldering iron? 

There was an amazing guitar around a few years ago with a kind of Elizabethan nautical theme, the possibilities are endless. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Strip it and leave it looking nasty and road warriorish. Post apocalyptic is the new black in my twisted mind. Could just be me.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I might try this one day.  On someone else's guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=48&v=QLwImoL8LAk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom