Modern versions of the Fender Wide Range Humbucker (WRHB)

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
I have a cunning plan to obtain a MIM Fender Tele Deluxe (the version that came out about 10 years ago) and replace the pickups with a modern version of the WRHB - I am thinking Creamery or Bareknuckle.

I generally favour single coils (including P90s) and the generic HBs in these guitars are unlikely to float my boat in the tone department, but the WRHB are reputed to sound very different.

Has anyone here tried this? How did it turn out? And will I wish I hadn't bothered!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chat to one of our tame pickup maestro's: @Alegree (Alegree pickups) @TheGuitarWeasel (OilCity pickups) or Marc from Mojo. 
    They're the experts & will be able to get you what you want- they're lovely chaps to boot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have a look at my thread this week (problem with poster on here etc)

I’m in a similar boat and got some really useful advice from the peeps here. In a nutshell you can’t go wrong with any replacement by the sounds of it but recommendations were Creamery, Mojo, Lollar and Oil City if I remember rightly. I’d rather buy British tbh so that gives me 3 options. If you could buy all 3 and make you tube videos of them in your Tele in turn it would be very much appreciated !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    @DrCornelius thanks I have read your thread.

I did find some YouTube comparisons of Creamery WRHB vs others, but tbh it's really hard to discern the difference on a heavily compressed YT vid.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    edited January 2018
    I bought a MIM Tele FSR Deluxe a couple of years ago, as an antidote to the prices and lack of authenticity being asked for proper Tele Deluxes from the 70s. I replaced the wiring harness with a Mojotone harness replicating a 70s Tele Deluxe set of pots and bought WR pickups from The Creamery. Sounds glorious and authentic (and the original pickups deffo did not).  Looks like this...  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/429v923ceg5evii/IMG_2287.JPG?raw=1 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I bought a MIM Tele FSR Deluxe a couple of years ago, as an antidote to the prices and lack of authenticity being asked for proper Tele Deluxes from the 70s. I replaced the wiring harness with a Mojotone harness replicating a 70s Tele Deluxe set of pots and bought WR pickups from The Creamery. Sounds glorious and authentic (and the original pickups deffo did not).  Looks like this...  

Ooh I like that! I see the FSR has the small headstock, rather than the original large headstock on the 72 Classic.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9346
    If money is no object, look at telenator. The only place who still uses cunife like the originals. They’re serious money.

If not, I’ve had a set of Creamery and they’re very good. Remember, some of the sound is about the pots. The originals used 1 meg pots. Try changing your pots before your pickups
  • I’m in a similar position.i love single coils and struggle with anything humbucker but have always enjoyed the sound of WRHB’s and have had people tell me about 70’s ones they’ve played.
    im thinking about putting Creamery WRHB in my jazzmaster based on this.
    ive had other pickups from the creamery in the past and agree with all positive comments about them, a great service and great end product. Hope this helps
  • I have a MIM Tele Custom with a Mojo WRHB. It’s a lovely sounding thing. From comparison videos, the only other one I’d like to try is the Lollar Regal. Thought the Creamery one sounded a little off. 
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited January 2018
    Speak to @TheGuitarWeasel. I won my own design in the recent raffle and Ash came up with a stunning pair of humbuckers for my MIM 72 deluxe. It’s a world beater now. They’re called “the message part 1 and 2” for reference.  

Build in here 
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112090/oil-city-pickups-prize-winner-build#latest
  • I have a wrhb rewind from Catswhisker pickups. It’s excellent. 
    chris78 said:
    If money is no object, look at telenator. The only place who still uses cunife like the originals. They’re serious money.

If not, I’ve had a set of Creamery and they’re very good. Remember, some of the sound is about the pots. The originals used 1 meg pots. Try changing your pots before your pickups
    1 meg pots are definitely on the menu. There is a guy on the Basschat forum who makes up top notch wiring looms that are very reasonably priced, so I would probably hit him up for a quote. This is all GAS and speculation at the moment mind, I probably won't even look to acquire a Tele Deluxe until April (tax reasons!), plus an unplanned major purchase could easily put this onto the back burner!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    Speak to @TheGuitarWeasel. I won my own design in the recent raffle and Ash came up with a stunning pair of humbuckers for my MIM 72 deluxe. It’s a world beater now. They’re called “the message part 1 and 2” for reference.  

Build in here http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/112090/oil-city-pickups-prize-winner-build#latest
    My new Site came online Friday ... standby for 'The Message' related post and links in the next few days :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    chris78 said:

I think Telenator shut up shop for good at the end of last year unfortunately. 

For my money Lollar Regals would be the way forward. 
    Whitecat said:
    chris78 said:

Happy for you to buy me a set of Lollar Regals with your money!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    Keefy said:
    Whitecat said:
    chris78 said:

Happy for you to buy me a set of Lollar Regals with your money!
    https://i.imgflip.com/23i6l6.jpg
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Spit of browsing has led me to the upgrade option on the Creamery website: https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/wide-range-thinline-humbucker-replacements.html#WIDERANGEHUMREISSUEUPGRADE

Looks like the budget route to achieving vintage specs, albeit you’d be without your pickups for a few weeks.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I love my Mojo WRs. Transformed a muddy, lacklustre sounding guitar into a thing of great beauty and joy. Its one of my fave guitars - all the 'breath' of a 335 with the thump and punch of a good Tele. Mine also has the benefit of a trem (Strat type) -  well worth searching out if you can find one, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited April 2018

I'm picking up one of these on Saturday! Once I have it in my mitts I'll be ordering a Creamery WR set.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992

Watch out!  It's falling!!!!!!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    Another vote for Mojo WRHB's - I've got a pair in my Toronado custom build and it's a lovely sounding thing. All positions very useable with or without distortion.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience