How to scale up a photo to actual size to make a template?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding
Folks.....

I'm planning to have a body made for a guitar and have a photo of what I want, is there any way I can scale it up to full size to then tweak, so its not a direct copy and make a template?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    edited January 2018
    I would import the photo into a vector graphics program like CorelDraw, Illustrator or Inkscape (which is free), then scale it so it matches up with your measurements. Once it's at the right size, you can draw round it (or trace it if your program has that option) and tweak to your heart's content.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    What's your starting point guitar? If it's a version of a well-known design there may well be pdf plans out there already.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    Yes Inkscape had a great bitmap trace function. You can clean up and scale to size fairly easily.
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    I've done it in Autocad/Sketchup by laying out known measurements first, so if you know you want to copy a standard strat, draw the nut and bridge line 25.5" apart and then scale the image until the nut and bridge in the photo line up with your drawn lines, and then you can trace round the body and tweak as you like.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited January 2018
    Thanks folks, looks like a steep learning curve with inkscape...

I'm planning something based on the St Vincent signature (ish) outline with a better headstock amd a couple of twists....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    Most of my replicas have started with an upscaled pic. Usually done in paint I think... nothing fancy
    I currently have nothing on the Mac to use, hence looking for suggestions......needs to be easy as I'm a bit of a luddite!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I often use a postscript pdf blueprint (found online) as a starting point and modify it with adobe illustrator. Easy for me but then I use Adobe software for a living. I'm lucky in that I also have a high quality plotter at work so I can print very accurate full size artwork.
    @paulnb57 I've done a quick outline/layout that you're welcome to as a pdf, if you're not wanting to do everything yourself. It's not perfect, but should be close enough if you're modifying it anyway.

You could either import it into a vector program to tweak, or get the file printed (100% on A2) at a local print shop for a couple of quid and get your french curves and pencils out!
    @FatPete you are a star!
    pm sent!

Thank you!

It's no problem, I do that sort of thing for fun.

Check your email.
    Outstanding! Thanks!