Tung or tru...

What's Hot
... oil.

whats the difference peeps?

appart from I have to order tru oil online and I can get Tung oil from screwfix 5 minutes from my house.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    All these oils have different percentages of oil and lacquer, and in some cases wax. Try Osmo 2032 semi satin wood finish. You can get that from Screwfix too, and it won’t colour as much as Tru-Oil (unless you add pigment of course).
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Pure Tung takes forever to dry, mucho patience required.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader

This is a good little vid that goes in too the differences... I think one of the main differences is that with Tru Oil is better for building up the coats to get a shiny finish.

Also with Tru Oil theres a trick I use to make it thinner which makes it go on smoother and dry quicker.. Which is basically to add a tiny bit of white spirits to it.. I did a short vid on that

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Thanks chaps... 

From what hat I can gather tru oil is Tung oil but with added hardener. 

Still not not sure I want an oil finish on this neck that coming but trying to keep options open.

only ever lacquered neck before!.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    poopot said:

The MSDS says it consists of modified soybean oil, linseed oil and white spirit.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Zoolooter said:
    Pure Tung takes forever to dry, mucho patience required.
    I found that out the hard way - waiting closer to two weeks until it was completely dry.
    Mind made up... dulux it is!. :)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    poopot said:
    Thanks chaps... 

Still not not sure I want an oil finish on this neck that coming but trying to keep options open.

I’m sure if you ask Grahame nicely enough, he’ll include a small container of eze-oil. That’s what my two r/w necks are finished in, great stuff!
    edited January 2018
    PVO_Dave said:
    poopot said:
    Thanks chaps... 

I’m sure if you ask Grahame nicely enough, he’ll include a small container of eze-oil. That’s what my two r/w necks are finished in, great stuff!
    I have both your build threads bookmarked!...

they look spectacular!. I spoke to Rothko to get my waterslides and mentioned your strat neck, can’t tell you how keen he was NOT to do that again... said it was very anxiety inducing!.

the more I look at the tru oil then more i can’t help thinking it’s just a wipe on lacquer... I will have to lacquer the face of the headstock for the waterslide, I may well give the back of the neck a light pass whilst I’m there.

bizarely enough I had a go on a custom shop strat relic with a rosewood neck last week. They appear to have piled the back of the neck but lacquerd the fret board!... compleate with worn out finger spots as part of the relic job... really weird!...

how does the eze oil differ from the others?
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Haha, I can imagine Simon at Rothko saying that, I’m sure you could twist his arm though! :)

I’ve only used Eze and Wudtone. Eze was a Grahame recommendation, easy to apply, quick to dry and hard finish. 

If you’re sticking with a decal, spray the headstock, oil and wax (Briwax) the back, it’ll feel amazing to play! I did the same for my sparkly JM build. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Tru-oil dries quicker and can be built up.

it can be used as a lacquer, but lacquer does it better.   Try-oil works great when treated as an oil for me.  If you are after high gloss you may as well use lacquer.  Tru oil will get you there with a lot of work.

Its at the thicker end of the spectrum. Danish oil is usually half way between Tung and Tru in terms of thickness and drying times