Ibanez TS9 need help

marge010marge010 Frets: 0
edited January 2018 in FX
I've got an Ibanez TS-9 and the back cover has been badly damaged. Its so damaged that it doesn't fit on the pedal, the metal has come away around the screws and is all bent out of shape. The pedal is an early 1983 Maxon model. Is it worth trying to get another back cover for it if I plan to sell it? Obviously that would mean the serial number will be different. If so, does anyone know where I could find one as I've struggled to find one online. 
Just wondering how much it would affect the value of the pedal? Or would it be best leaving as is?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1192
    How on earth do you damage the back cover? Anyway, I personally would sell it as is. Make big selling point out of the damaged backplate adding "mojo" or whatever terminology you care to use. 

Find out what chip is inside, some people will happily pay more for pedals that have certain chips in. 

You will almost certainly raise enough funds to buy a brand new TS mini or similar. 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited January 2018
    You could buy a small sheet of polycarbonate also known as lexan and use your damaged backplate as a template to drill the holes and sand it to the right size.  

It’s pretty easy stuff to work with and I think a clear backplate would look quite cool
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    If selling i would leave as is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    steer said:
    How on earth do you damage the back cover?
    My guess would be overly-strong velcro or 'dual lock' and someone not bothering to release it properly but just ripping the pedal off the board.

The best bet for replacing it is to buy any other old 9-series pedal, preferably knackered/not working or otherwise cheap. Even working you could probably buy one of the less-valuable models for less than the price difference it probably makes to the TS-9 - and you can still probably sell the remains and get some of the cost back.

This is the cheapest I can see at the moment but if you're patient I'm sure you'll find something for less, since this one is one of the usually more valuable models and looks fairly easily repairable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-FL9-Vintage-Guitar-Pedal-SPARES/152877644525

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the advice. A friend of mine was clearing out a relatives house and came accross some old pedals and was giving them away. The pedal was screwed to a large wooden board and couldn't be removed easily and when I tried removing it I ended up damaging the bottom panel. Then for some stupid reason I ended up just ripping it off. I then later looked at the internal board of the pedal and realised what model I had and instantly regretted what I had done!