Tonight's guitar lesson...

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited January 2018 in Guitar
Teacher: Hi Chris, how was the Big Jam?

Me: Yeah pretty good, fantastic da...

Teacher: Right, now stfu about it, let's get back to learning cool stuff instead of fannying about with that Manics song.

Me: Err..ok...

Teacher: Puts these in front of me:

One of them you've mentioned before, the other one I've picked. These are going to properly teach you some cool chord voicings, including inversions and diminished chords. 

Me: Err... Sounds...difficult

Teacher: Yeah, but once you can play these properly, their combined power will snap knicker elastic at 20 paces. 

Me: Then what the fuck are we waiting for? 

I'm actually doing alright on both of them so far, and I'm a little bit in love with them! 

Yay for not having to think about jam organising for a while!

(Yes I'm aware that there are a couple of mistakes on the tab, we fixed that at the lesson) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10426
    What Manics song was it ? 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    No surface, all feeling. Which I didn't completely destroy at the northern fretboard jam on Saturday 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Yellow Ledbetter is one of my favourite Pearl Jam songs, the tone on that recording is as smooth as honey and the intro is so good!  GL with both of 'em :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    Arktik83 said:
    Yellow Ledbetter is one of my favourite Pearl Jam songs, the tone on that recording is as smooth as honey and the intro is so good!  GL with both of 'em
    I've jammed it before just playing the chords while attempting to sing it... @Dontgiveupyourdayjob ;; usually does the widdles and to be fair, does a very good job of it! I'm a massive PJ fan so that was the one I'd mentioned before. 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10426
    Danny1969 said:
    No surface, all feeling. Which I didn't completely destroy at the northern fretboard jam on Saturday 
    Ah cool, love the band, love that song and all of Everything must go 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6892
    edited January 2018
    Arktik83 said:
    Yellow Ledbetter is one of my favourite Pearl Jam songs, the tone on that recording is as smooth as honey and the intro is so good!  GL with both of 'em
    I've jammed it before just playing the chords while attempting to sing it... @Dontgiveupyourdayjob ;;; usually does the widdles and to be fair, does a very good job of it! I'm a massive PJ fan so that was the one I'd mentioned before. 
    I started learning that last night after hearing you two jam it at the weekend! Simple chord structure with nice inversions and fills.

E - B - A - E
    I  - V - IV - I
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Arktik83 said:
    I've jammed it before just playing the chords while attempting to sing it... @Dontgiveupyourdayjob ;; usually does the widdles and to be fair, does a very good job of it! I'm a massive PJ fan so that was the one I'd mentioned before. 
    Aye, James came round my gaff for a trade and he played the intro and did a superb job, especially the double stop shift from 12 to 14 and back, I always end up fucking that right up!
  • I disagree with the notation for the diminished chords in Need Your Love So Bad. EG They've spelled the Cdim7 chord as C, F# A D# should be C Gb Bbb Eb
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I disagree with the notation for the diminished chords in Need Your Love So Bad. EG They've spelled the Cdim7 chord as C, F# A D# should be C Gb Bbb Eb
    It's entirely possible he's put the whole thing together in Chris speak ...I am blonde!

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I disagree with the notation for the diminished chords in Need Your Love So Bad. EG They've spelled the Cdim7 chord as C, F# A D# should be C Gb Bbb Eb
    Convention is to use sharps or flats depending on the key signature. So in the key of A you notate as sharps, something like F you would notate as flats. I'm not sure what you'd use in the key of C though.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Plectrum said:
    I disagree with the notation for the diminished chords in Need Your Love So Bad. EG They've spelled the Cdim7 chord as C, F# A D# should be C Gb Bbb Eb
    Convention is to use sharps or flats depending on the key signature. So in the key of A you notate as sharps, something like F you would notate as flats. I'm not sure what you'd use in the key of C though.
    Shats
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Does he have the bass tab for All Right Now?
  • Does he have the bass tab for All Right Now?
    I thought you knew that one? ...oh

Mate, I didn’t know any of the fucking songs I’d been put down for on Saturday - Differs showed me the riff for Come Together and he’s a drummer...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    Mate, I didn’t know any of the fucking songs I’d been put down for on Saturday - Differs showed me the riff for Come Together and he’s a drummer...
    He is also a bassist to be fair. Obviously he's not as good as you though. He doesn't even know all right now. 

Bob was a bit handy with four strings...wonder if he'd have got it right?

He is also a bassist to be fair. Obviously he's not as good as you though. He doesn't even know all right now. 

Bob was a bit handy with four strings...wonder if he'd have got it right?
    Funnily enough, I do actually know the solo - I learned it for Quad. And then we didn’t play the bloody album version...

It’s not so much that I don’t know the solo, more that it appears that I don’t know when I’m supposed to play it
  • Teacher: Hi Chris, how was the Big Jam?

Me: Yeah pretty good, fantastic da...

Teacher: Right, now stfu about it, let's get back to learning cool stuff instead of fannying about with that Manics song.

Me: Err..ok...

Teacher: Puts these in front of me:

One of them you've mentioned before, the other one I've picked. These are going to properly teach you some cool chord voicings, including inversions and diminished chords. 

Me: Err... Sounds...difficult

Teacher: Yeah, but once you can play these properly, their combined power will snap knicker elastic at 20 paces. 

Me: Then what the fuck are we waiting for? 

I'm actually doing alright on both of them so far, and I'm a little bit in love with them! 

Yay for not having to think about jam organising for a while!

(Yes I'm aware that there are a couple of mistakes on the tab, we fixed that at the lesson) 

I randomly jammed on both of those exact tracks in 'room two' in Huddersfield, your teacher obviously has impeccable taste! I think it was @richardhomer who I played NYLSB with, and I have to say he did it a damn sight better than me! 

I don't think I could ever get bored of either of those tracks, could happily sit and noodle away for hours on either of them.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:
    I randomly jammed on both of those exact tracks in 'room two' in Huddersfield, your teacher obviously has impeccable taste! I think it was @richardhomer who I played NYLSB with, and I have to say he did it a damn sight better than me! 

I don't think I could ever get bored of either of those tracks, could happily sit and noodle away for hours on either of them.
    Very kind of you to say so - thank you.

I hadn’t played in a band situation for well over 20 years until last Saturday - it was a real thrill for me - and loved the NYLSB jam. Everyone involved played really well.

You’re a very good player - and have youth on your side. Highly likely when you’re as ancient as me, that you’ll be significantly better than I am! :)
  • Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:

I hadn’t played in a band situation for well over 20 years until last Saturday - it was a real thrill for me - and loved the NYLSB jam. Everyone involved played really well.

You’re a very good player - and have youth on your side. Highly likely when you’re as ancient as me, that you’ll be significantly better than I am! :)

I would never have guessed it had been that long since you'd played in a group situation! You should be gigging every week!

And many thanks for your kind words. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dontgiveupyourdayjob said:

He's annoyingly good for a twelve year old isn't he? Pisses me off every time we jam ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom