Start owners, a few questions

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
edited January 2018 in Guitar
just bought my first Strat. A classic player 60’s. firstly what gauge strings do you use? I’m used to Gibson scale length and the 10’s that are on it feel a bit floppy I might try 11’s. also give me a rough starting point for pickup heights. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I use 10s personally 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28756
    What do you use on the Gibsons?

For a given string gauge a Strat will have more string tension than an LP, but the tremolo can make it feel like less when bending and suchlike.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Might be worth trying a 10-52 set. Strats sound good with a heavy low E (imagine playing Dick Dale tunes with a 38! no thanks).
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    And Hendrix used I think a 38 as E 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    kt66 said:
    And Hendrix used I think a 38 as E 
    The old Fenders set of 9’s used to terminate with a 0.38 as a bottom E. Personally I use 0.095 D’addario sets on my Strats and they cover all the bases for me 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2228
    I liked 11s on my Strat (when i had one) but tuned down a half step
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14454
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    Might be worth trying a 10-52 set. Strats sound good with a heavy low E (imagine playing Dick Dale tunes with a 38! no thanks).
    I prefer this option - thicker wound strings - so I can keep a low action yet if required still hit the low E/A/D without them rattling on say walking bass lines (SRV style) - less 'flopping' around with 52's over a 46
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    9-42 - I’m a wimp :)

Fretted at the last fret the pick-ups should be around 2.5-3mm below the bottom E and 2-2.5mm from the top E.

Once they are around this level, you may find you need to lower the neck pick-up and raise the bridge pick-up to get a good balance in all positions.

The neck pick-up in particular can cause nasty overtones (on the lower strings especially) if adjusted too close.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4728

I use 10's, they are a bit floppy after using 11's for years.  Now use 11's on my Gibson, for that reason I may try 10.5's on my Strat which I think should feel like 11's on the Gibbo.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    I like ‘10’s on my Strat too.  I think with the ‘46 E but I’m going to return to the ‘52 as suggested above.  After experimenting around generally with lighter gauges I found them lacking in a band situation - harder to cut through. Probably a weakness in my technique but there were times when they made it harder to be in tune too (the riff in Ticket To Ride for example). Go with the heaviest that feel comfortable I reckon.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I use standard 10s on all guitars but they feel looser on Gibson to me than Strat
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1975
    I've got an SG in Black.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited January 2018
    Sporky said:

For a given string gauge a Strat will have more string tension than an LP, but the tremolo can make it feel like less when bending and suchlike.
    10’s. Might  try 11’s on the Strat. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3643
    markj said:
    Sporky said:

I do the opposite, lighter on a Strat.

The Strat definitely takes more effort to bend the same note as a LP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    you sure is not the difference in neck profile/fret spec that is making you think the strings are floppier than the Gibson? There is a marked difference in the way Strats/LPs  tension up
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    D'addario 009-42's is my usual tipple - but I do like GHS Boomers on my  (original)1969 hardtail Strat!  Strats are physically harder to play than Gibsons due to the longer scale-length so I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    10's on Les Paul and 9's on Strats for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 11s on everything!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9754
    edited February 2018
    Neil said:
    markj said:
    Sporky said:

I do the opposite, lighter on a Strat.

The Strat definitely takes more effort to bend the same note as a LP.
    Not really relevant to the thread but a Strat also needs more effort than a Tele despite both having the same scale length. Essentially due to the ‘give’ in the trem which means that strings need to be bent just that little bit further.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OakieOakie Frets: 4
    I tend to use 11's these days.  As for pickup height mess around until you like it. Mine are in ascending height from bridge to neck.