New Guitar - String Breaking

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited February 2018 in Guitar
In the year and a bit that I’ve been playing electric guitar, I’ve broken one string. 

Brand new guitar and been through THREE high E strings in a week. 

It’s breaking every time at the 8th fret, when I’m bending a whole step. 

I can’t see or feel any rough spots on the fret. 

It’s entirely possible that this is a technique issue - I’ve been playing the same phrase pretty much constantly for the last week every time I practice which begins with that bend from 8 to 10 on the high E.

I know I have a tendency to fret too hard but does this still sound out of the ordinary?!

Update 5/2/18 - happy ending - guitar exchanged for the same in Olympic White!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14454
    tFB Trader
    very unusual to break a string at any other place other than a contact point - bridge or tuner post generally

is the string actually breaking at that point and not say the ball end breaking - what make of string and are they genuine (assuming D'addario)

not sure what to advise as so unusual
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Yeah, I should add that it’s had a setup from my usual guy and he found nothing of note. He said it was pinching slightly at the nut but he addressed that. 

Yep definitely breaking at the 8th fret each time which made me think that there was a rough spot or something. 

I can only think it’s a technique thing. I have another lesson on Fri so will raise it with my tutor. 
    Sorry meant to say D’addario (twice) and Ernie Ball
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Can’t see how it could be technique unless you’re bending it with pliers! 

Unless you’re pushing it well hard into the fret and other strings, kinking it and weakening it... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Yeah it does seem odd. I know I play with too much pressure/tension but even for me seems bizarre
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Keep playing the same riff but starting on the 10th or 12th fret and see if the point of breakage moves, should hopefully tell you if it's the guitar or technique.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Keep playing the same riff but starting on the 10th fret and see if the point of breakage moves.
    Ha I like that, will do that! 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've had my Pro Strat for over a year now, play enthusiastically with a 1.0mm pick, always use D'addario XL110's, always bend plain strings like mad, more often than not a tone and a half or two tones and I've never broken a single string on that guitar yet.

Do your frets look like this....?

https://i.imgur.com/MgIfPhB.jpg

• LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I have old strings, years old, un used and still in their packs... I have them still since ever, maybe the 1990s...
    Are your strings new or old/unused?

-reading this thread, I wonder if these old strings'd break if I use them?
    I have been known to throw out un used strings with pitted marks/blemishes on them since I didn't want to use them/were no good to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72709
    If it's breaking at the fret consistently then there is definitely a rough spot on it, even if you can't see or feel it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    If it's breaking at the fret consistently then there is definitely a rough spot on it, even if you can't see or feel it.
    Yeah that’s kind of what I thought! What’s the next course of action, speak to PMT? Will they be any actual help?
    @LesbianWithAGun they’re all brand new strings 

@Alnico I’ll get a pic of mine up this morning
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I use light strings these days so I am used to occasionally breaking the top E but three in a week... Having said that if you are still trying to nail that Gary Moore lick you may be putting a lot of stress on the string repeatedly and it's simple metal fatigue.  

I have noticed over the years that when a string breaks it always seems to be around the 7-9th fret, presumably there s some scientific explanation for this?
    Neill said:
    I use light strings these days so I am used to occasionally breaking the top E but three in a week... Having said that if you are still trying to nail that Gary Moore lick you may be putting a lot of stress on the string repeatedly and it's simple metal fatigue.  

I have noticed over the years that when a string breaks it always seems to be around the 7-9th fret, presumably there s some scientific explanation for this?
    I did wonder if it’s just the sheer amount I’ve been playing the same thing over and over (and over and over).... I think I’m going to keep practicing it but without the bend that opens the phrase. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Neill said:

I did wonder if it’s just the sheer amount I’ve been playing the same thing over and over (and over and over).... I think I’m going to keep practicing it but without the bend that opens the phrase. 
    No, it's most likely not that.
    Strings should put up with way more than that.
    Not a very good pic but here's the fret in question. Can't see or feel anything untoward

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    check that there are no burs on the saddles/ferrules. Even if the string does not break at this point it might be there is uneven tension across its length and the break point is where it gets focused.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ICBM said:
    Yeah that’s kind of what I thought! What’s the next course of action, speak to PMT? Will they be any actual help?
    I’ve usually found them to be helpful, but I’ve only dealt with the Romford/Southend bunch. 

Their ‘techs’ may be hit & miss though. Could be a decent and knowledgable tech in some stores, but in others,  not so much. 

I would say speak to em, see what they say. Most likely they’ll tell you to bring it in for them to look at, and then they’ll find nothing apparantly wrong, like your previous tech. 

But the problem persists so they’ll have to help. 

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Been thinking about this one, its baffling eh. 

Does the break occur EXACTLY over the fret or break under your finger thats fretting it?

If its right over the fret, maybe there is a bump or spot that can hardly be felt, but is there. 

BRISTOL86 said:
    Not a very good pic but here's the fret in question. Can't see or feel anything untoward

Maybe it's just the light but the fret ot the right of that picture looks like its got a rough, flat top.
    The other two don't look *really* smooth.

If it were my guitar I'd be using wet n dry 1200-2000 and then peek metal polish (mask the board up first) and then see if the string still breaks....

https://i.imgur.com/l8hYOVP.jpg