NGD Sub 1 for the third time

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
edited January 2018 in Guitar
so last night this arrived 

Its the the third time I’ve owned a Sub 1 guitar and I won’t be selling  one again in a hurry. I genuinely love everything about it bone stock. 
The pickup(s) are just my cup of tea and the pot values are genius if not commonly used on humbuckers. 
The neck and feet size are what makes this so easy to play for me that i sound cleaner and quicker in my phrasing. 

I sold  the others thinking I’d buy something more expensive which = better but I know that’s not the case. 

Proper chuffed. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 617
    Great snag.....very under rated pc of kit...been tempted many times as they get rave reviews by all owners but never found one...prices seem to have crept up the last couple of years so perhaps the secret is out...what year would that be...must be 10 -15 yrs old ?? What route is under that pg ?? Which MM does it feel like most...silo ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    @bazxkr  yeah the prices are creeping up. Once upon a time you could get them for £300 which was crazy good value, now they seem to be fetching £550 which in my opinion is well worth the money.  EBMM made these around 06-07 in HH and H variants hardtails and trems, I do prefer the trem models but I could find one cheap enough.  Under the pickguard is a swimming pool route so you can install what ever you like pickup wise and the silo special pickguard is a direct fit, holes and all. 

The old rumour was EBMM lost money on each one so stopped production, these where at the time musicmans attempt at what prs have done with the S2’s, made in the same factory but with OEM pickups, tuners and bridges. The textured finish meant they could spend less time sanding and the painted maple necks meant they could use lower grade aesthetic maple. 

Ive had silos in the past which is what this is most closest too but these feel lighter and more nimble to me.  I definitely want more. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    grungebob said:
    so last night this arrived 

Its the the third time I’ve owned a Sub 1 guitar and I won’t be selling  one again in a hurry. I genuinely love everything about it bone stock. 
    The pickup(s) are just my cup of tea and the pot values are genius if not commonly used on humbuckers. 
    The neck and feet size are what makes this so easy to play for me that i sound cleaner and quicker in my phrasing. 

I sold  the others thinking I’d buy something more expensive which = better but I no that’s not the case. 

Proper chuffed. 
    The feet look perfect!
    ;)

HNGD, I love the colour and the treadplate guard.
    edited January 2018
    Damn autoconnect am I right!? ;)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2256
    I've used music man basses for years and nearly bought the sub bass as a backup or dodgy venue machine.

So if the guitars are like the basses, poplar body which is what they used on the solid colour full fat ones, maple neck, painted to hide poor figuring as per alnico and proper bits.

Absolutely stunning instrument with cost cutting in all the right areas. I think sales understandably went mad and cut into the real ones sales figures.

Nice find, play it a lot

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago. It's the two pickup, trem version but otherwise very similar to yours @grungebob. I think the pickups are a bit generic Korean but otherwise it's a great guitar. I paid £350 for mine  :)
  • I have on just like yours, except in the Dark Blue finish.  Great guitar and if you find a cheap one an absolute bargain.

The feel is just like a Silhouette I had years ago, but obviously without the contouring.  I keep watching out for a trem model too as a pair would be great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drwiddly said:
    I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago. It's the two pickup, trem version but otherwise very similar to yours @grungebob. I think the pickups are a bit generic Korean but otherwise it's a great guitar. I paid £350 for mine  :)
    Has the seller ever asked you to buy it back as if he had I think I know him ;)
    Yes, he put me on notice when I bought it to offer it back to him if I ever wanted to sell it. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1326
    Sold my SUB few years back. Great guitar as it is stock, even better if you put a little bit of money and effort into it.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/31782/fs-music-man-sub1-made-in-usa-modes-upgrades

Happy NGD @grungebob !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    drwiddly said:
    Yes, he put me on notice when I bought it to offer it back to him if I ever wanted to sell it. 
    Yep that’s me that is. Hi!
    @KrisGee that looks bloody lovely that does.  Hmm, I do genuinely love the stock pickups but I’m liking the idea of stripping the neck. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1326
    Yeah dude, the stock pups were not too bad! Worked great for dirty tones for me, not so good for cleans which is why I went for duncans, there are two yt vids on my channel with both sets in.
    Think I still have the neck pickup somewhere if you ever decide you want to make it a HH.
    Also stripped and waxed neck was a joy to play!
    I’d be interested in that pickup for sure. 
    grungebob said:
    drwiddly said:
    Hi (lol!) I did wonder if it might be you!

The guitar's getting well used and gigged fairly regularly. I swapped out the bridge pickup for an Irongear I had in my parts drawer and it definitely sounds better than the stock one (to my ears anyway).

I'll let you know if I decide to move it on but atm it's going nowhere!  :)
    edited February 2018
    drwiddly said:
    grungebob said:
    drwiddly said:
    Hi (lol!) I did wonder if it might be you!

The guitar's getting well used and gigged fairly regularly. I swapped out the bridge pickup for an Irongear I had in my parts drawer and it definitely sounds better than the stock one (to my ears anyway).

I'll let you know if I decide to move it on but atm it's going nowhere! 
    So long as it’s getting used I’m happy cheers :+1: