Speaker simulators / load boxes for recording - two notes, Uaudio, Palmer

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• slateslate Frets: 89
    edited March 2018
    prlgmnr said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    I’ve just got a UA OX amp top box. I REALLY like it. The magic is in the software, the cabs, speakers etc that you can apply to it. I saw them all over namm plugged into amps as a way to test the real amp with a load on headphones. The two rocks were especially good in this setup.

I'm currently using Suhr reactive load and Ownhammer impulses, would you say the Ox has any advantage over that?
    I have this exact same setup. I've owned a lot of the others mentioned here (Palmer/Sequis sims and also several different load boxes) and have found so far that the Suhr and IR's toally eclipse any of the rest of them , some by a rather large margin
    Like you, I wont be buying the Ox until they have the app for android but I am a HUGE fan of their equipment . I have the Apollo 8 thunderbolt interface and quad satellite  running the UAD plugins and it is absolutely outstanding so I would imagine the Ox will be pretty good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Another vote for the Two Notes Torpedo. I wouldn't be without it.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    @darcym has the OX arrived yet? I’m hovering on the purchase button.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    How are people still finding the ox? I’m about to buy one and could really do with some feedback. I will use it as an attenuator and for headphones playing and lastly for direct recording (though I’m hoping it will promote such exercises). I use a redplate rp50 and a 72 100 watt superlead amp. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    How are people still finding the ox? I’m about to buy one and could really do with some feedback. I will use it as an attenuator and for headphones playing and lastly for direct recording (though I’m hoping it will promote such exercises). I use a redplate rp50 and a 72 100 watt superlead amp. 
    still love mine, had one since january......... still incredible
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I have the Two Notes live. It is very versatile, although it did take some time to get the sounds I wanted. Now I have those settings saved and it is plug in and play.
    It is a great unit and I found the built in IRs to be very good too.
    I have used it on all the guitars for the recording project that I am currently working on.
    It has enabled me to track my guitars using a JCM 800 and Mesa Rectifier . Amps that I use "live" as well.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    really impressed with the ox still, really good bit of kit. Especially for recording.

out of the palmer, two notes and ox (I've had all 3) the ox wins comfortably on recording.

live - and please don't ask me why as I don't know the palmer just has more "feel" to it (so I sold the two notes) if I had to keep just one, I'd have the ox and be really really happy, as it stands I've kept the palmer because I feel better using it live (which is rarely) I suspect it's more my problem than a problem with the tools.

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    edited November 2018
    I've been interested in it for quite some time but I've got a few reservarions:

1) No control app for Android or Windows. I don't use the iPhone/iPad and I'd hate to have to take my Macbook Pro to venues with me for any last minute tweaks.

2) No ability to use IRs and no new speakers or effects added since its release. 

3) Price. Is it going to be proportionally better than my current setup (Suhr Reactive Load + Two Notes CAB)?

I guess I just need to check one out for myself but they're not that easy to find around West London.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    susbemol said:
    I've been interested in it for quite some time but I've got a few reservarions:

1) No control app for Android or Windows. I don't use the iPhone/iPad and I'd hate to have to take my Macbook Pro to venues with me for any last minute tweaks.

2) No ability to use IRs and no new speakers or effects added since its release. 

3) Price. Is it going to be proportionally better than my current setup (Suhr Reactive Load + Two Notes CAB)?

I guess I just need to check one out for myself but they're not that easy to find around West London.

1.) - this is a problem for many, fully agree with this.
    2.) new firmware rumoured for Jan
    3.) price is harsh, if I wanted an all rounder the two-notes is the best value for money, for recording I found the ox better sounding and more options to make it easier for me so it won, and as I said I just like the palmer live - I don't know why but if you read my kemper comments in other threads I love recording with my kemper, but I can't use one live, so maybe I just have a problem with certain simulation live.

if I had to buy one for all uses, I'd probably buy the two notes, it was better than the ox live (but again maybe that's just me) it's recording was excellent, it has good support and updates, and it's very cost effective.

I had budget and managed to get a slightly better tool for recording that I like more, would I have been happy with the two notes, yes, totally.