Yet another eBay question

What's Hot
So I ended up getting another strat on eBay. Happy days.

However seller is asking for PayPal payment days before I collect. Does this seem odd? I rarely buy anything on eBay and have never bought a guitar off there. I offered cash, but he/she didn't accept. 

Cheers

"Pick your noses up!"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mortmort Frets: 719
    If you pay by PayPal and somthing goes wrong when you go to collect, you will get your money back relatively easily as the seller would have to prove delivery. I suppose it would be possible for them to send an empty box in the meantime, so don’t sign for any unusual parcels/letters!

Just make ale sure you are 100% happy when you collect because returning it will be a bit of a hassle as you would need to post it back to be sure of winning a PayPal case. I have made this mistake in the past, got distracted chatting to the seller (nice guy) and didn’t notice the hairline cracks all along the back of the neck along the skunk stripe.

How is the seller coming across - do they seem a bit dodgy? If there’s nothing suspicious I wouldn’t worry too much, some people prefer PayPal for some reason!
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 615
    That is one dumb mutha refusing cash!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanon said:
    That's what rang an alarm bell with me.
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11643
    tFB Trader
    General rule i follow is paypal and send. Cash and collect.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    strat1990 said:
    notanon said:
    It's possible they're either afraid of counterfeit cash without any means of checking it, or that they need money in their Paypal account for some other purpose.

It's foolish of the seller and not the buyer to do this though, since it's the seller who loses the Paypal protection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Turn up and then, if happy you can carry out the transaction on your phone.

I did this years ago when I bought an airgun, everyone was happy.

• ive come across this a few times. i think its the sellers worried that you wont turn up? I had one last year where he lived a few miles from me and i said i was coming within the hour, he still insisted i pay paypal before i come.
  • ive come across this a few times. i think its the sellers worried that you wont turn up? I had one last year where he lived a few miles from me and i said i was coming within the hour, he still insisted i pay paypal before i come.
    Could be that, he seems keen just nervous. I guess PayPal offers protection! 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    strat1990 said:
    ive come across this a few times. i think its the sellers worried that you wont turn up? I had one last year where he lived a few miles from me and i said i was coming within the hour, he still insisted i pay paypal before i come.
    Not for him it doesn't.
    Nothing to stop you from collecting the guitar and then claiming you haven't received it. You get your money back plus a new guitar and he gets shafted.
  • ICBM said:
    strat1990 said:
    notanon said:
    It's possible they're either afraid of counterfeit cash without any means of checking it, or that they need money in their Paypal account for some other purpose.

It's foolish of the seller and not the buyer to do this though, since it's the seller who loses the Paypal protection.

See, me being a country bumpkin, didn't think of that. Good advice 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • Sassafras said:
    strat1990 said:
    ive come across this a few times. i think its the sellers worried that you wont turn up? I had one last year where he lived a few miles from me and i said i was coming within the hour, he still insisted i pay paypal before i come.
    Not for him it doesn't.
    Nothing to stop you from collecting the guitar and then claiming you haven't received it. You get your money back plus a new guitar and he gets shafted.
    Man, I couldn't do that. I too honest 
    "Pick your noses up!"