NPD - Thorpy

What's Hot
antifashantifash Frets: 603
The Gunshot. You've all heard it. You know how it sounds, you know what it does. You've seen the awards it's won. You've seen Dan's face on that pedal show when he kicks it on. 

But I wasn't convinced. I thought, 'An overdrive? Really? And isn't it too big?'

Regardless, after my recent Gretsch purchase  I thought I could do with some drive. I have a Laney Lionheart 5T (no, I don't want to trade it for your guitar ;)), and love the clean channel but find the dirty channel lacking especially at higher gain levels. It's nice for gentle overdrive though. I'd read a lot about the Gunshot and enjoyed watching Dan getting into it, so thought I should give it a go. 

Bought one here from @m1ck1970 (ta), and I believe there is now one for sale for less than what I paid. I wanted the classic rock sound (for fun, really), and that's what I got. It isn't an entirely marked difference from a tube amp overdrive. It really complemented my amp, and I was soon playing with the two different gains and enjoying goosing the calibre knob and pretending I was Slash in '91. 

Then I thought I'd be Mick and give the Strat a go. Turning the calibre down and upping the gain really gave me a lovely overdrive - particularly at lower levels. Whereas I had a nice crunch with humbuckers / fulltron pickups, I was getting a nice, thick organic ooze with single coils. AND it really isn't a large pedal at all. It's pretty cute! I certainly prefer it with higher output pickups, but I was very impressed by the build quality both inside and out. 

You've all heard it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I just got a Gunshot and a Fallout Cloud in p/x for the Lazy J Cruiser Duece I had for sale on here. Only had a brief play with them so far as I'm waiting for the neighbours to bugger off out so I can make some noise. They're never in, apart from this week. Inconsiderate twats.
    First impression of the Gunshot is yeah, it works but I need more time particularly with the gain and calibre controls.
    The Fallout cloud on the other hand just blew me away. Bucket loads of sustain, sounds great whatever the settings.
    Now, if only I hadn't sold that MJW amp last year. Oh well.........
  • Unfortunately the gunshot didn't work for me. In fact I didn't think it was much different than what I was getting out of my cruiser. However that's only my ears of course :)

i found the Warthog a little more versatile. Again only my opinion. Horses for courses lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Laney Lionheart and Gunhot = win! Congrats fella.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    Love the gunshot - one of my fave pedals. It really does have that amp like thing about it and the blend of calibre and gain make it easy to dial in the right sound.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antifash said:

I have a Laney Lionheart 5T (no, I don't want to trade it for your guitar ;)),

Are you sure? ;)
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @colourofsound Good spot, bruv! :)

Love the gunshot - one of my fave pedals. It really does have that amp like thing about it and the blend of calibre and gain make it easy to dial in the right sound.
    Exactly this. It's also so much fun, and I think that's what I look for in a pedal now. Not just something functional, but something to play with.
  • My Gunshot is my first toe in the water of Thorpy pedals , I've had it a week and can see it being a keeper. Nice low gain overdrive when needed and can get fuzzy too with the Calibre control. A lot of fun 
    My Gunshot is my first toe in the water of Thorpy pedals , I've had it a week and can see it being a keeper. Nice low gain overdrive when needed and can get fuzzy too with the Calibre control. A lot of fun 
    Nice to be in the same boat.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    edited February 2018
    antifash said:
    My Gunshot is my first toe in the water of Thorpy pedals , I've had it a week and can see it being a keeper. Nice low gain overdrive when needed and can get fuzzy too with the Calibre control. A lot of fun 
    Nice to be in the same boat.

Our boats are more similar than you think @antifash ; - right now for me its Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod into Gunshot into Tweed Deluxe.....
    edited February 2018
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    I've been wondering about the Gunshot.  I've got a Fallout Cloud that I love, but I've not really gelled with the Peacekeeper.  Just wondering if I might be better off with a Gunshot.
    @crunchman If it's crunch you're after, man, then - yeah - give it a go. Does low gain well, but I've not tried the Peacekeeper.

• Given that I've been honourably mentioned here I may as well stick my oar in on the actual OP - I've tried both the Gunshot and the Peacekeeper; I found the Peacekeeper fairly uninspiring and quite fizzy in the top end (but I'm a Bluesbreaker man through and through) however the Gunshot was a great pedal and really nailed that classic rock sound. I only ditched mine in favour of the very special Sonic Tailor by @Magnetic_Effects!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Apart from the Veterans, the Peacekeeper is my Favourite  :)
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    The Peacekeeper was the first of Thorpy's pedals i bought. I use it mainly as a boost on the drive channel of my badcat hotcat. Which I set for a good crunch. It works fantastically for that. The best pedal I've found for that actually. The gunshot works much better into a clean amp. It's sounds more like switching to a drive channel on an amp rather than adding an od pedal if that makes sense. My favourite od pedal for that reason.   
  • @antifash - dude, you're selling it! Change of heart?
    @colourofsound Sort of - but not my opinion of it.  I’m just happy with light drive and fuzz. And after lowering the pickups on my Gretsch, I don’t need to rock out so much. And I could do with the money...