Worth getting a Zoom G3 over MS-50G?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
I was thinking of getting something for occasional effects that I don't normally use - pitch shifting, extreme delays and reverbs...is it worth getting the G3 over the 50G? I was thinking if the 50G is decent I could even pick up two of them and have one up front and one in the loop. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Line 6 m5 is a good option. (Imo better than both the other two)
  • Yeah, I used to have an M9 and liked it. It was the lack of a loop that annoyed me with that one. Getting two M5s might be a solution and still cheaper that one M9!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8538

I've just got a Zoom G3n and really like it. Everyone moaned about the lack of features compared to the old G3 when released but this is exactly why I like it. You can get your arms around it in 5 minutes and everything is laid out in front of you. Sounds decent too. I've struggled with the smaller single footprint zooms as they are a pain to navigate around.

M5 is also a good and simple to use option.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Have. G3n for sale if you're interested drop me a PM
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    edited February 2018
    I've had the G3 and the MS-50G, the MS100-BT and the CDR-70! 
    The G3 is way easier to use because of the extra footswitches and the ability to use an expression pedal. It's also got a whole host of extra stuff over the smaller Zoom Multi-stomps (looper, built in rhythms etc) although they all sound great.

I've only kept the G3 as a back up but it is now up for sale in the classifieds @gearaddict as I recently purchased a Katana as back up for my AX8.
  • Yeah, I used to have an M9 and liked it. It was the lack of a loop that annoyed me with that one. Getting two M5s might be a solution and still cheaper that one M9!
    I'll sell you a m9 for less than 2 m5 pedals ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I wouldn't get an M5. The effects aren't any better than the G3 and you can only have one at a time. The G3 is much easier to use than the MS50 and has the ability to use an expression pedal.
  • Thanks for the suggestions...I hadn't realised the M5 could only run one effect at a time. I guess I assumed because there were two footswitches you could run two...that's a bit limiting.

The problem with all of these for me is the lack of a loop...
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions...I hadn't realised the M5 could only run one effect at a time. I guess I assumed because there were two footswitches you could run two...that's a bit limiting.

The problem with all of these for me is the lack of a loop...
    Do you mean a loop in the pedal itself to run other effects through? Or do you mean a looper in the pedal to record stuff to play over?

• A loop for 4CM...just seems a shame not to be able to use half the capabilities of the unit. That's why I was thinking two M5s would be cool...but not so great if you can only use one effect at a time. I guess the MS-50G is better in that you can chain the effects and have a few running at once but I can see that would be a pain to configure.

There's nothing much between the Zoom G3 type of unit and the Helix type of unit. I guess the new HX Effects fits the bill but it's not cheap.
    edited February 2018
    They are really easy to configure. You can also buy a switcher that you can use to switch effects (even standalone stompboxes) between the front of your amp and the fx loop (bright onion and wee lush fx both do them) but you're switching the whole thing in/ out of a loop. If you want to "split" the multi fx chain to run delays and mod stuff in the loop and drives/ boosts etc in front, you have to move up to Helix /Fractal level unless you buy 2 units and run one in the loop and one in front .
    As the owner of an AX8 and all the Zoom multi fx, I can tell you from experience that there is a LOT between the Zooms and the AX8.
    The Zooms are good but the AX8 is in a different league .
  • Yeah...trying to avoid the level of complexity that goes with full modelling solutions tbh - Helix / Fractal / GT100 / PodHD500 etc. I suppose the M13 would be an obvious choice but it's just too big.

Might give the Zoom a go...
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    I've had the G5 for a while and still enjoy
     it. The built in pedal is useful with the left to right movement lots of variations.
  • I find the MS50 really simple to use. You can get it up and running in five minutes, just have a quick flick through the manual and a play about. There's really nothing to it. AFAIK the only benefit of the G3 is the extra two foot switches which would be invaluable if playing live. For home and studio work the compact footprint of the MS50 is a big bonus. 
  • Yeah, might give the MS-50G a try. With the G3 I think I'd be in a similar position to the M9 where I just felt like I wasn't using half the functions of the unit and it takes up a large chunk of pedalboard real estate. Or maybe the M5...but I've read a lot of comments about them being unreliable. I have had quite a few issues in the past with Line 6 gear doing weird stuff unexpectedly. Those tone core pedals were a nightmare! :) Mind you, my M9 and HD500X seemed to be fine.

Bit of a tangent but sometimes I do wonder if it would be a lot easier to change my whole approach and get an amp which has a really good clean and takes pedals well so I can forget all about effects loops :)