Vintage guitar refinish prices

What's Hot
So I'm looking at a guitar that has had a refin, Not a pro job at all but doesnt look bad. 

On average and as a percentage how much less would you expect to pay for a refin over an all original guitar. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284

I think the rough rule of thumb is 30%-50% reduction, depending on quality, rarity, when done etc.

As the owner of three vintage guitars which have been refin'd - I think they're a billy bargain (relatively!)

• peteri said:

I think the rough rule of thumb is 30%-50% reduction, depending on quality, rarity, when done etc.

As the owner of three vintage guitars which have been refin'd - I think they're a billy bargain (relatively!)

Thanks for info, I have no issue with a refin. I think my only reservation is how easily will it be to re-sell? 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    It depends on the guitar. For example, one of the reasons a refin kills pre-CBS Strat values is because it makes it very difficult to conclusively say that the body is original. 

The price drop reflects the fact that you haven't just lost the original paint on an otherwise perfect guitar, but that the whole thing might be a fake. 
  • p90fool said:
    It depends on the guitar. For example, one of the reasons a refin kills pre-CBS Strat values is because it makes it very difficult to conclusively say that the body is original. 

The price drop reflects the fact that you haven't just lost the original paint on an otherwise perfect guitar, but that the whole thing might be a fake. 
    Good point! How about a Gibson, I'm particularly looking at a badly finished LP junior, Although the serial number has been covered by an amateur paint job I guess you could still date if from the pots? 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14454
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

Good point! How about a Gibson, I'm particularly looking at a badly finished LP junior, Although the serial number has been covered by an amateur paint job I guess you could still date if from the pots? 
    in that case check the pot dates - some very early models with black ink serial numbers are almost impossible to read/view due to them fading, so might not look there anyway - how are they dating it without the serial number - what features are the using to gather such info - check and becareful

agree with info above otherwise
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284

Agree with all of the above.

I have two refin'd Gibsons and a refin'd Strat.

The Strat and one of the Gibsons came from 'reputed' dealers (which you should always take with a pinch of salt, as my own experience has shown).

The pot codes are right, and the solder is untouched, plus there are details which are much harder to fake - and at the end of the day they play so well, look so right - I was happy.

The other Gibson was refinished in a 'rescue from messed about' project, I had pictures throughout and have had it looked over by another luthier and they're completely supporting the date.

Be careful, pot codes just show how old the pots are, make sure you look at the solder and compare it to pictures you can easily find, it's all about reducing the risk rather than 100% accuracy.

Also, look at the other features, Gibson over the years have changed quite a lot of details which help narrow down the age.

I'm no expert, but if you PM me some pics I can see if I can help

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited February 2018
    peteri said:

Thanks for info, I have no issue with a refin. I think my only reservation is how easily will it be to re-sell? 
    So, you've already pretty much decided you won't like it? And you think you can make a buck or two on it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't remember ever saying I won't like it? nor did I say I plan to make money from it, I just like to know that when I buy something I'm getting value for money, and if i need to liquidate due to unforeseen things I could recoup at least most of the original purchase. I think that's pretty fair don't you think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7085
    tFB Trader
    If it's any guide, this professionally refined junior went for £2100 plus buyer's premium.