Solo of the Month (SotM) #33

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Sent mine in.

Approach: I originally tried to do something more melodic and, well, sweet sounding on the upper frets, in the vein of the track that nobody's mentioning. That wasn't working very well, so I decided to make everything the opposite. I selected the scuzziest tone I could (a Fredric Effects Unpleasant Companion helped greatly here) and worked on the bottom string only, looking for something more riff-y than solo-y. Scale is D-minor pentatonic.

Now I'm done and I listen back to, er, y'know, that track ... well, it's not all as clean as I remember actually, so maybe I'm not that far off after all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine's in.

Similar to @Brad 's description, I ended up using three scales/keys based around D major, G major, and G minor, with some chordy bits in as well, along with some favourite double stops.

I guess the option to use a few different scales does prove the "keyless wonder" theory!

This was recorded using the bridge pickup of an '85 Japanese Fender Tele into a Zoom MS50G.  Overdrive into Fender amp with spring reverb and a bit of delay.  All modelled of course.
  • That makes 10 entries so far, which is a good turn out again. The latest entries have been added to the playlist in the original post.

Also, thanks for the descriptions of the approaches used.

It's not a competition.
  • ... and another one, so that makes 11 entries.

I've updated the playlist in the original post to contain all the entries so far.

It's not a competition.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited February 2018
    I went for overlapping guitars in kinda the same way that happens in Hotel California. 
    Im not a lead guitar player in the slightest and have only ever played a handful of solos.
    my approach was to put together a handful of twiddles and slides and some half forgotten things from an old Albert Lee Starlicks VHS and hope for the best . 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    I had a bash - not sure it's up to the same standard as some of yours though.  It's been a long time since I did any recording and I forgot how enjoyable (but frustrating!) it can be.  I couldn't resist the little reference in there. :) 
  • SteveF said:
    I had a bash - not sure it's up to the same standard as some of yours though.  It's been a long time since I did any recording and I forgot how enjoyable (but frustrating!) it can be.  I couldn't resist the little reference in there. :) 
    Added to the playlist along with one I got from @FINBAR2004 ;

So that's a total of 13 entries so far. A very good turn out this month :)

It's not a competition.
  • I tend to lurk in the shadows and read the forum rather than join in, so I thought this might be a chance to take part proper.

My approach was to think in phrases, starting low on the neck and working up. Could have released a double album of out takes by the end.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not much time left. Submission deadline is 11:30pm tonight.

I'll start a new thread for the voting tomorrow.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closed.
    It's not a competition.