Epi 339 electrics are buggered. Upgrade suggestions?

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
The switch on my Epi has finally given up the ghost, and if I'm getting that replaced then I may as well get the pots etc done at the same time. I'm also thinking that, as I'll be getting it done rather than doing it myself, I might also get the pickups done as well. I love the guitar and I won't be selling it so I don't mind splashing out a bit (within reason!), but I need some suggestions on what exactly to go for on all the above. 

I don't think I'd want the pickups any hotter than standard, but I would like a bit more... what's the word... sparkle? Clarity? Basically just a better version of what I already had when it worked properly. I'd also want to keep the coil splitting options I have (both split).

Any ideas?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I replaced all the loom, switch, pots, caps and pickups last year in my Sheraton. Also put in a set of tonerider pickups. It wasn’t the easiest of jobs, but it was worth it.
  • I say the same thing whenever someone asks about upgrading pickups/harness. 

OilCity or Mojo

Both do harnesses and pickups that'll transform your instrument. Chat to Ash or Marc (respectively) and they'll see you right. You'll be supporting brilliant small businesses too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited February 2018
    Tone rider Rocksongs ,nickel cover  .I upgraded a Dot to them and it was like rocket up its arse .Clear ,clear sparkle but dirties up beautifully.I used CTS pots and a switchcraft switch .In fact I replaced everything that wasn't wood and fitted a Gotoh bridge and stop tail and grover tuners .Enjoy
  • I will watch this thread with interest as i picked up an epi 339 a few months ago and find the pickups sound really good, with the coil splits. If you do replace themi would like to hear your conclusions in what you chose and how much difference it made.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    edited February 2018
    Full loom upgrade is the smart option.

If there is enough slack in the stock harness and you have the correct switch collar tightening tool, it might be possible to manoeuvre the dogbreath selector switch across to the wide section of the F hole and get after it with a soldering iron.

hobbio said:
    I don't think I'd want the pickups any hotter than standard, but I would like a bit more... what's the word... sparkle? Clarity? Basically just a better version of what I already had when it worked properly. I'd also want to keep the coil splitting options I have (both split).

Any ideas?
    Something PAF-like with an Alnico 4 bar magnet for the neck/Rhythm position.

A slightly hotter than stock bridge/Treble pickup, set lower in the mounting surround should deliver the goods - especially if you will be coil splitting.

Leftfield pickup suggestion - humbucker-sized Filter'Tron clones à la Chris Cornell signature Gibson.

Two other ways to get more coil permutation options with a more robust wiring loom.
    1) Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting surrounds. 
    2) Freeway 3x3-03 six-position toggle switch.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Tonerider looks good, certainly a more wallet friendly option. I'll deffo look into Oil City and Mojo though, they always get good reviews and I'd like to support small UK businesses. CTS pots for sure, and Switchcraft was where I was looking until I found out about that Freeway six position switch. I like the idea of more options for sure.

I'll be farming this job out, my soldering skills lie somewhere between "shit" and "really shit" and I don't fancy trying to do everything through the f-hole. I'll probably go to John at Noiseworks in Cov unless anyone here is competent and wants the work.

Thanks everyone!

Right, I've dropped it off with John. I'm having CTS push pull pots, a Switchcraft switch, a Tonerider Rocksong in the bridge and a Tonerider Alnico II Classic in the neck. He's also replacing the plastic nut with a Tusq one. Can't wait to get it back!

Got it back today!

Everything is as above apart from the CTS push-pull pots. He used CTS for the 2 tones, but the CTS push-pull volume pots wouldn't fit through the f-hole. He's put in some USA spec, Mexican made mumble mumble can't remember what brand he said instead.

The guitar sounds amazing now. Both pickups feel hotter, especially the bridge, but they both clean up really nicely with the volume. Split sounds are great too. Overall it's a fair bit darker than I remember, but that might also be due in part to me only having played single coils for a good while now. Anyway, a tweak on the eq on my amp soon brought the brightness back.

Overall I'm really happy with the upgrades. I'll never sell this guitar (not that I sell guitars that often anyway!), and even though it owes me far more than its actual value I don't think I could replace it with anything as good for what I've spent on it.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265

Over the years I've done a lot of mods, mostly on a tele and a strat. Pickups make big changes, but tbh I am not convinced at all on replacement looms. Yes, different rating of caps and pots will alter sounds of course (thinking treble bleeds, 500k vs 250 etc), but like for like replacement is IMO just burning a hole in your pocket.

From my experience, a clean switch or pot is no different cheap or expensive.

My switch was broken and the pots were on the way (2 of them broke when John removed the knobs), and if I'm changing that much I might as well get it all done. I'm happy with the results.

• i too have an epi 339. its my go to guitar. really love it. Hasnt occurred to me to upgrade anything yet but who knows. anyway, well done for having such a great guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    hobbio said:
    Right, I've dropped it off with John. I'm having CTS push pull pots, a Switchcraft switch, a Tonerider Rocksong in the bridge and a Tonerider Alnico II Classic in the neck. He's also replacing the plastic nut with a Tusq one. Can't wait to get it back!
    I did this to my Dot ,same spec except Rocksongs in both positions and no push/pull .It was great .I also did a fret level and replaced everything else  metal on it but the Rocksongs and pots are great start .The epi switches always fail in the end .
  • I put Oil City P90s in my Epi 339, sounded great!
    i too have an epi 339. its my go to guitar. really love it. Hasnt occurred to me to upgrade anything yet but who knows. anyway, well done for having such a great guitar 
    I wouldn't have touched it if the original switch hadn't failed, but it just made sense to do the lot whilst it was in anyway. Tbh the standard pickups are decent sounding and I'll probs put them in my Shine.

I love the neck on the epi, that's why I didn't mind spending a bit on the guitar.