My second ever pickup swap....and Oil City cherry lost!

So, following on from not screwing up with the soldering iron too badly last I decided to take advantage of @TheGuitarWeasel ;
's Christmas offer and buy a set of Masterwound TubeSnakes and a 50s loom. I have a Tobacco Classic that I bought as it's nicely worn and had a good top - bit of a Slash vibe going on. I had it up for sale, but didn't really want to part with it, so it became the ideal candidate for my second attempt at butchery.

Pickups and loom were very nicely presented. Out came soldering iron and screwdriver to reveal that the Classic was all ready sporting an upgrade in the form of a pair of Seymour Duncan APH-1s (see classifieds shortly). Job got jobbed nice and simply. Oiled the board whilst the strings were off, strung up and tuned up. Plugged in.

Nowt. Nothing. Sod.

Earth wire off.

Did that. Plugged. Holy f*&kknuckles Bat Man! Or should that be Ash man!?

I've long been a fan of OX4s, and was curious to see how the Oil City products would compare. I have a set of Hot Duanes in a Standard. Not exactly the same thing but the articulation that both give is incredible. And the TubeSnakes have SO much growl and bite. The fitment of the Oil City's has quickly boosted the Classic up the pecking order. Superb service, superb product and a stunning sound.

Marvellous!

Obligatory pic post playing every 90s rock riff I can remember...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    edited February 2018
    Good for you. That’s a fantastic looking guitar and I’ll take a bet it sounds every bit as good as you describe. 

No pickup covers and no pickguard - looks the business. 

I’ll wager it’s lighter than mine too, but given several of Jupiter’s moons also weigh less it’s not saying an awful lot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom