What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4700
    edited February 2018
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2018
    I love my Lollar Imperials. They sound terrific. The Les Paul I own is just a 2017 Classic. Nothing exotic, but it was really loud acoustically. I hated the sound of the bridge pickup. I wanted something Alnico V in the bridge, but not too hot. Ordered a set, had them fitted, sounds great!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    This is a rabbit hole imo, the choice is yours and no one else's 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    OX4's that I had in my les paul  I didn't like at all. Replaced them with a set of Masterwound from Oil city pickups.
  • This is a rabbit hole imo, the choice is yours and no one else's 
    Yes, but IMO there's nowt wrong with seeking opinions. To my mind, replacing pickups is a non trivial job and non-trivial expense. You want to try to get the first attempt as right as you can to save the hassle of having to repeat it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • markj said:
    OX4's that I had in my les paul  I didn't like at all. Replaced them with a set of Masterwound from Oil city pickups.
    ^ This - Oil City PAT63's - pretty awesome :)
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    edited February 2018
    https://www.eternal-guitars.com/pickups / http://www.hot-rodpickups.com/

These guys will hand wire to your specs - give them a ring and chat to the guy who winds them about exactly what you want. 

Oh and theyre reasonably priced too. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    markj said:
    ^ This - Oil City PAT63's - pretty awesome :)
    Yes - the PAT63s are superb
    We were involved with their birth so to speak and have a soft spot for them and have elected to fit to our 25th Anniversaries (arch top) 
    We also keep Monty's Pickups and Bare Knuckle in stock (I have set of Monty PAFs in one of my own Lions but had the wax potted version as I simply use too much gain at times to go without.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader
    see what I mean, others love montys while I liked them I didn't like the neck much, this obviously means nothing to anyone apart from me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    I have some custom wound Florence Voodoo 59's in one of my guitars, which get close what I have in my head as the PAF tone, although as suggested above that could quite likely be different to what's in other people's heads. I would never dream of swapping these pickups out, but pretty sure all the ones mentioned in this thread would sound amazing too. 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited February 2018
    I have Mojos in a Les Paul.  I believe they have A3 magnets.  They are super nice pickups - very clear and crisp.

My favourite Les Paul has Wolfetone Legends, which I bought from the US.  I think that particular guitar suits me best, but would have been just as happy with having Mojos in them, I reckon.  The Legends have A2 magnets and are a bit more moody than the Mojos.

Haven't tried OX4s or Monty's, but they seem to be popular.  Don't think you can go very much wrong with any of those.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    CloudNine said:
    I have some custom wound Florence Voodoo 59's in one of my guitars, which get close what I have in my head as the PAF tone, although as suggested above that could quite likely be different to what's in other people's heads. I would never dream of swapping these pickups out, but pretty sure all the ones mentioned in this thread would sound amazing too. 
    Took out my Voodoo 59s and replaced them with Deacci P zeros which I liked better so sold the voodoos, Its all personal taste, and as you say any of the above would sound great
  • Another factor not mentioned yet is resistance.   A 7.8k PAF will sound very different to an 8.5k PAF (yes not necessarily because of that single factor, but you know what I mean) in the same musical application.

It's not just about a choice of maker, or magnet.  What do you want to achieve?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    ..the montys didn't balance in the middle as well
    100% my experience too - Monty’s are great if you use either pickup, but I found there was a cancellation effect in the middle position that couldn’t be dialed out
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    tFB Trader
    SunDevil said:
    100% my experience too - Monty’s are great if you use either pickup, but I found there was a cancellation effect in the middle position that couldn’t be dialed out
    I'm strictly mojo everything now, I like the fact there's no b.s. with his stuff
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevil said:
    I own an old 335 with original Patent Numbers. With the amp set fairly ‘neutrally’ the bridge pick-up sounds a bit harsh and the neck a bit dull - both on sounds fantastic. 

I suspect modern winders endeavour to even out the variation by making the bridge pick-up hotter and the neck pick-up slightly more articulate - which will change how they work in combination - but sound more balanced when used individually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• I quite fancy Mojo’s for my Midtown, but the webshop has been closed the last 2 times I’ve looked.  As sign of Mojo’s popularity which is great, but worth noting if you need pickups fairly quick.  Just check you can actualy order them before deciding.  
  • menamestom said: 

I quite fancy Mojo’s for my Midtown, but the webshop has been closed the last 2 times I’ve looked.  As sign of Mojo’s popularity which is great, but worth noting if you need pickups fairly quick.  Just check you can actualy order them before deciding.  
    Mojo store is now back up btw. Ordered some WRHB from him just yesterday. 
    tFB Trader
    I just got a dogear p90 to stuff in my dc junior, looks great too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I like Gibson Classic 57s. I have them in guitars as diverse as Gibson's Les Paul, 3x 335s, 446, 175, as well as transplants into a Tele neck position, Chibson, etc.  Can't really believe they are all the same pickups.