Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a need for more than one Strat..?

What's Hot

Comments

• Frankly, I don't think there's a need for one Strat, much less more than one ;)
    Heresy! A non believer! Get him! 
    "Pick your noses up!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Frankly, I don't think there's a need for one Strat, much less more than one ;)
    I was going to say the same thing. I occasionally find a use for the one I've got, but not often.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • strat1990 said:
    Frankly, I don't think there's a need for one Strat, much less more than one ;)
    Oh, I'm a believer alright. I firmly believe that, like Hendrix was to guitar playing, Strats (and Les Pauls, and Teles) were a good stepping stone in the development of the guitar, but they're badly dated.

The design of those guitars is an ergonomic nightmare for modern playing, and frankly the only reason to own one is for nostalgia. There are much, much better guitars out there which sound just as good (if not identical), but simply function better.

Also...anybody who disagrees too vehemently with me will be summarily sent to the cooler :D
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22987

Ash/maple, ash/rosewood, alder/maple, alder/rosewood, hardtail. tremolo, SSS, HSS, HSH if that takes your fancy...

Yes there's a need for more than one Strat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9692
    Hey! There’s someone here who thinks one Strat might be enough!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4714
    I have a Highway One and an HSS American Special and they couldn’t be more different.  
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Yes
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've had my MIM Classic 50's for only a few weeks and I already want another flavour to go with it...

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    strat1990 said:
    Oh, I'm a believer alright. I firmly believe that, like Hendrix was to guitar playing, Strats (and Les Pauls, and Teles) were a good stepping stone in the development of the guitar, but they're badly dated.

The design of those guitars is an ergonomic nightmare for modern playing, and frankly the only reason to own one is for nostalgia. There are much, much better guitars out there which sound just as good (if not identical), but simply function better.

Also...anybody who disagrees too vehemently with me will be summarily sent to the cooler :D
    But isn’t your new favourite toy essentially an evolved Strat ? 

He said checking the bed for horses heads ! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strat1990 said:

So that's what's been holding me back. I need to get one of those Guthrie Govan guitars then I'll be able to play like him :)

It's not a competition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I say no unless you need a back up. I take it your play time won’t increase if you got another Strat in which case it’s just the same time spread across more instruments that sound at least very similar (in the grand scheme) 
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    You need a rosewood board one,and a maple `board one then a Sunburst one,white one,LPB one ,Candy Apple red one,plus a Sonic Blue one ,maybe even a black one,so that`s a few to start with and we aint got to different sounding pickup sets yet !!!!!
  • I have 4 strats , but mainly play 2 of them .
    I have 5 precisions , and mainly play 2 of them ( one fretted and one fretless) 
    People can easily spend £800 a year down the pub or on cigerettes , where as you will have an instrument that brings you pleasure and has good re-sale value should you want to move it on .
    Provided you have a roof over your head and the bills are paid , I cant see the problem in having something you want .
  • DrBob said:
    strat1990 said:

But isn’t your new favourite toy essentially an evolved Strat ? 

He said checking the bed for horses heads ! 
    That's the point - evolved. Although I've replaced the middle pickup with a blank cover, because it's a stupid idea - sounds "meh", and just gets in the way - and it's "fixed" in all the ways Strats are deficient (a sensible neck joint, angled headstock, friendlier pickup selector position etc).
    <space for hire>
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7040
    tFB Trader
    I know a guy with (at the last count) 36 Strats so you've got a way to go yet...
  • Everyone should get a Strat, just one, it is all that is needed.   Then go to The Guitar Show, in Birmingham, and tryout some guitars built by people who may have actually played a guitar.

I do not rave about Strats for the same reason I do not rave about driving a Ford Capri.  There are better options out there than living in the past.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    Whenever I have two of the same type of guitar it always leads to an endless cycle of comparison between the two and I end up actually playing far less due to constantly swapping between them. Either that or one turns out to be so clearly better that the other ends up under the bed for months.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Everyone should get a Strat, just one, it is all that is needed.   Then go to The Guitar Show, in Birmingham, and tryout some guitars built by people who may have actually played a guitar.

I do not rave about Strats for the same reason I do not rave about driving a Ford Capri.  There are better options out there than living in the past.

The Strat is a great design and there was quite a lot of input from players in the development process.

It's very comfortable to play.  A lot of the modern "improvements" are anything but.  The two point trem doesn't sound as good as the original.  The original is a brilliant piece of engineering.  Even more modern makers like PRS use a modified version of it.  People moan about the 7.25" radius but I quite like it.  9.5" is ok as well, but I hate those really flat radius "superstrat" type things.

I'd rather have a good traditional Strat than any of the modern "refinements" of it.  I say this as someone who has owned a "superstrat" style guitar with a bridge humbucker, and who has owned well over 20 electric guitars over the years.

• A single, one, Strat in the World just about covers it....