Would an ashtray bridge and pickguard cover a bridge route on a HH Tele?

What's Hot
If you want to convert a HH Tele to custom config - S bridge and H neck - would the route be hiden by the bridge and pickguard?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    edited February 2018
    Presumably you’d replace the full size HB bridge plate with a “normal” Telecaster bridge plate that has the same dimensions and screw holes, and keep the existing pick guard. So yes.

However, if it’s a short bridge plate, then you’d have to check that the existing neck pickup hole would be covered by the new full size plate.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    No, I think the "ears" of the humbucker route would stick out either side of the ashtray
  • So it sounds like the height of humbucker route is greater than the ashtray bridge heght.. hmm...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16722
    DrBob said:
    No, I think the "ears" of the humbucker route would stick out either side of the ashtray
    This.  Humbucker bridge plates are noticeably wider
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    DrBob said:
    the "ears" of the humbucker route would stick out either side of the ashtray
    This is correct for a vintage-style, stamped steel bridge.

A modern, machined from solid, single coil bridge might be broad enough to hide your embarrassment. 

I would retain the stock short hardtail bridge and hide the cavity in plain sight by using an adapter plate. Something like this

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Ok cheers guys!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    edited February 2018
    I would fit an Oil City Brassknuckle pickup with a splitting option and get both sounds while avoiding making it look like a halfway house.

It's like two Tele pickups on a humbucker baseplate...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jboP7t8G6-s/UKUn0jdMPTI/AAAAAAAAAk0/2L-3JEnxCKU/s1600/ASH_0032.jpg

Split it to the coil nearer the neck and it sounds like a Tele, split it to the one nearer the bridge and it sounds like a Strat. I did exactly this for someone who had a Tele with a full humbucker bridgeplate recently, with the split to the Tele sound - it sounded fantastic.

It doesn't seem to be currently listed on the Oil City website but I'm sure if you drop Ash a line he could do something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom