Case damage... you dirty rat

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
So at the weekend I was in the garage where I keep my guitar cases and found that a rodent (the wee b*****d) had been gnawing away at the Fender CS brown case (leaving the Gibson and other cases untouched - make of that what you will).
The case still works but cosmetically it’s not pretty at all.  If I want to sell or PX this, what does the forum think on replacing etc 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    was there a stRAT in the case...

I'll get me coat
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Could be worse, could be in the kitchen....

TBH, those cases are way too heavy for their own good. I'd replace it with a Hiscox - better protection, lighter and a darn sight cheaper than buying a replacement.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Was it a Proco Rat or just a normal one?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    welshboyo said:

I'll get me coat
    Alas a Tele but it would be funnier with a Strat
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    hassleham said:
    Was it a Proco Rat or just a normal one?
    He said it was a You Dirty Rat. I had one of those recently, but it wasn't as good as I remembered them being, it wasn't as fat. Maybe it had been eating cases... they can't be very nutritious.

:)

impmann said:

TBH, those cases are way too heavy for their own good. I'd replace it with a Hiscox - better protection, lighter and a darn sight cheaper than buying a replacement.
    The problem is that buyers usually want the "original" case for guitars like this (not to mention all the crap that comes in it), and either want a huge price reduction for not having it, even if the replacement case is better - far more than the value of the case - or aren't interested at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Rodent Relicing will be the next big thing.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    ICBM said:

impmann said:

The problem is that buyers usually want the "original" case for guitars like this (not to mention all the crap that comes in it), and either want a huge price reduction for not having it, even if the replacement case is better - far more than the value of the case - or aren't interested at all.
    This is true.

But then these are often the same twonks who want money off because there dares to be a tiny swirl in the paint, or pick marks on the pickguard, or that the string gauge/brand has been changed. You can't win with some of them.

It depends on what you are keeping the guitar for - to play or to sell...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    chris45 said:
    welshboyo said:

I'll get me coat
    Alas a Tele but it would be funnier with a Strat
    or a knawcaster....

Sorry, I'm definitely leaving now
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Just describe it as heavy relic and charge extra. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30295
    Shows that even rats have good taste.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    ICBM said:
    hassleham said:
    Was it a Proco Rat or just a normal one?
    He said it was a You Dirty Rat. I had one of those recently, but it wasn't as good as I remembered them being, it wasn't as fat. Maybe it had been eating cases... they can't be very nutritious.

:)

impmann said:

This is exactly the conundrum.  The case as a case is impractical - I have always used something else when I take it out.  And it has sat in the garage for 3 years doing nothing apart from being chewed at.   However with an original case (£249 FFS) I think it's a much more attractive sale esp for PX.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    I have a Rickenbacker bass case in my loft which is the same - useless. It’s too large and awkward to conveniently carry or even fit in the boot of my car, and yet too fragile to properly protect the bass in a van. So I use a Mono gig bag to actually transport it, and if it was going in a van I would get a Hiscox. I should just sell the old piece of junk really, but it’s “the original case”, and if for some reason I ever take leave of my senses and sell the bass, I need it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Mojo...charge more. There's a story to be told.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    My Les Paul case also has rodent damage! The previous owner said his hamster escaped while he was out and it chewed a few patches of the covering, it looks tatty as hell now but it's all Mojo innit!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Trade it for some “sticky boards “.