How do I fix a crackling trem arm?

What's Hot

I have a Wilkinson trem on my Strat, and it crackles when I touch it. The cause is clear: it's a grounding problem.  The guitar is well grounded and shielded, with no problems usually. But when I touch the trem while not touching any other metal, it buzzes. If I touch a string, it stops. 

The problem is most likely a poor electrical contact between the trem and the bridge. How can I improve the contact? The end of the trem arm is hollow. Maybe I could stuff a bit of tin foil in there?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's clearly possessed by the soul of a departed madman.

Exorcism is the only answer.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Keep your other hand on the strings while touching it.

What you're getting is normal with a properly-grounded guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Take the trem arm off, inspect carefully before putting it in a drawer for the rest of your life. Then replace with a hard tail bridge. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    I have to assume that with the arm actually removed from the guitar, you still have the same issue when now touching the bridge saddles/trem assembly - but otherwise as @icbm states above
  • I have to assume that with the arm actually removed from the guitar, you still have the same issue when now touching the bridge saddles/trem assembly - but otherwise as @icbm states above
    No. In fact, if I touch the bridge while the trem is cracking, the crackle stops. 

I think ink I may have another solution. The arm slips into a plastic collar, so it only contacts the bridge electrically at the end of the arm. I might just isolate that end with tape. 
  • Fixed. The inside of the arm is threaded, so I screwed in a tiny plastic rawlplug and snipped it off with about 1mm sticking out. Now the arm is isolated from the bridge. 
  • Nice one. You might also have been able to do it with Plumber's (PFTE) tape.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14304
    tFB Trader
    good news - self cure/experimentation is good