Tone Control Strat

What's Hot
Hey there everyone, I was wondering if somebody could tell me if there is a difference in sound between chaining a master tone control off the 5 way selector or from either lug 1 or 2 of the volume control? cheers :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14569
    edited February 2018
    The theoretical difference is down to whether the resistance track of the pot influences the portion of your signal being filtered to ground via the capacitor. Perhaps, if the volume pot is cheap rubbish, it could introduce signal loss.

On the Telecaster circuit, it is conventional to connect to lug #1. 

On a Stratocaster-derived circuit, there is an argument for connecting to the same "common/wiper" terminal on the selector switch as you use to send the pickup signals to the volume pot. This is my recommendation if your circuit includes a Treble bypass network across lugs 1 and 2 of the volume pot. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey Funkfingers, cheers for the reply, I am using two CTS 250k 450 vintage series pots which I think are pretty decent pots with a 0.22 WD Music paper in oil capacitor, I am also using a Duncan style treble bleed across lugs 1 and 2 of the volume pot, what is the idea behind connecting them to the same common?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72575
    edited February 2018
    There's no difference between connecting it to the switch or to the top terminal of the volume control - that's just opposite ends of the same piece of wire. There is a difference if you connect it to the middle terminal, that then becomes equivalent to Gibson '50s' wiring. If you have a treble-pass network this doesn't work as well so it's best connected to the top terminal, as Funkfingers said.

For what it's worth, if you have just a master tone control, connect the two sides of the switch in parallel (4 wires connecting the matching contacts on each side - remembering that the rotor is at the opposite end on the two sides of a standard CRL-type switch) so they're both doing exactly the same thing - this will increase reliability and reduce switching noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• won't it do that if I just connect the two commons together? also if I were to remove the treble bleed, what difference would it make having the 50s wiring? would i have to change the way I wire the tone pot? cheers
    Glaw343 said:
    won't it do that if I just connect the two commons together?
    No, you need to connect the three individual pickup terminals on each side together as well, so the switch is doing exactly the same thing on both sides. That sounds redundant, and it is - that's the point (and the correct term) - the idea is that if one side of the switch makes a bad contact - even momentarily - the other side will keep the connection made, so you also tend to get less switching noise as well as preventing a failure.

Ideally, you should always connect spare switch poles like this because it increases reliability for no penalty (other than labour).

Glaw343 said:
    also if I were to remove the treble bleed, what difference would it make having the 50s wiring? would i have to change the way I wire the tone pot? cheers
    Treble *pass* :). Treble bleed is what the tone control does. (Yes, I know it's the internet term... ;) )

Removing it and connecting the tone control to the middle will also slightly increase treble as you turn the volume control down, but not as much. But it also makes the controls more interactive, so if the tone control is set lower than the volume it will *reduce* treble faster.

You don't need to change the tone control, the only thing that matters is where it's connected on the volume control. Some 50s wiring schemes do use a different tone pot connection but it doesn't make any difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks a lot ICBM, I understand what you mean now, I'll make sure to do that :) would you recommend using the 50s wiring method on a strat? I suppose if I were to use that I could eliminate the need for a treble bypass circuit? cheers :)
    I don’t really think the ‘50s’ wiring works well on Fenders - I’m not really sure why. Treble pass is better.

Although personally I’m not a huge fan of it on Gibsons either... 

• Great, thanks a lot :) I'll stick with the treble pass then :)