Fuzzdog MFZ1 build - ground noise through output?

I knocked this one up last night and it's really noisy. I tested it before housing it and I thought "oh maybe it's just picking up noise because it's not yet inside a metal box" but it's noisy even after boxing it up, even on a battery (putting out ~8.6v).

I tested continuity at a few points and it seemed the ground might have been connected to the output but I couldn't replicate that when I checked about an hour ago. I might go back and redo the ground connections at the jacks with a bigger iron tip coz they're not great at the minute. I was super careful with the diodes and IC (how do you even test an IC with a multimeter?).

Any ideas folks?

Instructions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Can't comment on your kit but Fuzzdog instructions have a method for testing the circuit before you solder up the switch and sockets that's we'l worth following as it lets you know if the circuit works on it's own. That way you know if there's a problem with the circuit before you add in any other variables. It might seem like a pain to desolder everything and try it now if you didn't do it before wiring up the switch etc but it'll really help you narrow the problem down. I'd always socket ICs as it removes the risk of frying them when soldering. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    lewism said:
    Can't comment on your kit but Fuzzdog instructions have a method for testing the circuit before you solder up the switch and sockets that's we'l worth following as it lets you know if the circuit works on it's own. That way you know if there's a problem with the circuit before you add in any other variables. It might seem like a pain to desolder everything and try it now if you didn't do it before wiring up the switch etc but it'll really help you narrow the problem down. I'd always socket ICs as it removes the risk of frying them when soldering. 
    I did all that. Anyway, it sounds fine now so whatever. Nice dirty stomp.